Low light plants

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 11:40 AM

I have a 20 gallon with just a single standard 20 watt fluorescent light. I would like to add some live greenery to this tank, but i'm worried the lighting isn't sufficient. Are there any plants, native or not, that can live in under these lighting conditions?

#2 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:05 PM

I have a 20 gallon with just a single standard 20 watt fluorescent light. I would like to add some live greenery to this tank, but i'm worried the lighting isn't sufficient. Are there any plants, native or not, that can live in under these lighting conditions?

Go to your LFS and get some Java Fern and/or Java Moss.

#3 Guest_flamingo_*

Guest_flamingo_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:23 PM

Java fern, moss, certain aponogetons, most vallisneria, amazon swords (some), wisteria, cabomba, etc.

#4 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:43 AM

The lighting that you have is generally considered low even for low light plants. Is there any way to put on another bulb?

Unfortunately, most native plants require medium to high lighting. Riccia fluitans (and some other Riccia species) do well in low light, but aren't what most people are thinking about when they want aquatic plants. My opinion is that your lighting is too low for Vallisneria species. Low light aquatic plants are typically from the tropics where they flourish under a tree canopy. If any other natives come to mind later I'll let you know.

A website that has a plant selector is this one: http://www.aquaticpl...pc/plantfinder/. They don't have a lot of plants listed, but it's a good start. Most plants in their database are exotics.

#5 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2007 - 10:28 AM

The lighting that you have is generally considered low even for low light plants. Is there any way to put on another bulb?

Unfortunately, most native plants require medium to high lighting. Riccia fluitans (and some other Riccia species) do well in low light, but aren't what most people are thinking about when they want aquatic plants. My opinion is that your lighting is too low for Vallisneria species. Low light aquatic plants are typically from the tropics where they flourish under a tree canopy. If any other natives come to mind later I'll let you know.

A website that has a plant selector is this one: http://www.aquaticpl...pc/plantfinder/. They don't have a lot of plants listed, but it's a good start. Most plants in their database are exotics.

I would definetly consider a better bulb, but at the moment I am financially unable to upgrade the light itself. What kind of bulb would you recommend while still using the same fixture? The sticker on the back of it says 30" light, 120 volt, 20 watt, 60 Hz. I do have a planted tank (which does have sufficient light) containing Ludwigia repens and another plant that I am unable to ID. However I was hoping to have some plants in the low light tank as well. Will the the light be enough to at least keep java moss alive? Thanks for the help

#6 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2007 - 10:34 AM

It will keep the java moss alive but you won't see that much growth. Probably the same with java fern.

#7 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2007 - 11:02 AM

Go to Home Depot and get an OTT light that will fit your hood (they are the same size as a regular flourescent). They aren't the most amazing lights on earth but I can get java fern and moss to grow, as well as several other of the aforementioned low light plants.

Oh yeah, they cost about 8 or 9 bucks so they wont break the bank. 8)

#8 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:05 PM

I would definetly consider a better bulb, but at the moment I am financially unable to upgrade the light itself. What kind of bulb would you recommend while still using the same fixture? The sticker on the back of it says 30" light, 120 volt, 20 watt, 60 Hz. I do have a planted tank (which does have sufficient light) containing Ludwigia repens and another plant that I am unable to ID. However I was hoping to have some plants in the low light tank as well. Will the the light be enough to at least keep java moss alive? Thanks for the help

Ah, I fully understand.

One option is this: bulbs do come in different lighting strengths. This is measured by lumens. I suppose one could go to a good lighting store (read: not Home Depot or other big box) where they carry specialty items, and ask if they can help you find the most lumens for the length bulb you need. I have in the past bought a bulb from the LFS that was brighter than most, and was able to grow low-light plants under, but it was very expensive and I forget the brand. Apparently, these LFS bulbs are generally available as regular bulbs through lighting stores, albeit under non-aquarium type names.

Another option if you are handy, is that you can build your own hood. It does take a little cash, but much much less than buying a new hood that handles high light. You can then wire in as many bulbs as you like, and even overdrive bulbs if you can't quite cram in enough for your liking. Really one only needs basic carpentry and electical skills for this. (for example, I can wire a hood, convert some direct-wired appliances into plug-ins, but in no way could I wire a fuse box.)

Anyway, you will at least be able to keep the java moss alive.

If you send the board a picture of your un ID'ed plant, we can try to figure out what it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users