DC area meeting or trip

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:55 AM

Hi all. I'm the regional rep for Maryland. I'd like to schedule a NANFA event for this summer, to introduce people to native fish and perhaps recruit a new NANFA member or two.

I was hoping to have an aquarium club style meeting--with a native presentation and (tropical) fish auction to introduce people to native fish and raise a little money for NANFA's conservation and education programs. That would still be my preference, but the meeting place I was hoping to arrange for fell through.

If you know of a location where we could meet for free, let me know. (There isn't any point in holding an auction to raise money for NANFA if most of the profit goes to renting a meeting room.)

Barring a meeting, a beginner-oriented collecting trip seems like a good idea. In the past years, I've led trips to Pennyfield Lock at the C&O Canal, to angle for longear sunfish. It's an easy trip, which doesn't require me to get a scientific collecting permit, which seining streams would require me to do.

Another idea is a seining/angling/photography trip to the Mount Vernon part of the Potomac. There's a public parking lot right on the River, and, so far as I know, the only permission necessary is for attendees to get a VA fishing license.

If you would be interested in helping to organize an event--or even just attending one--let me know.

Thanks.

Bob

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:08 AM

I would definately be interested in attending!

#3 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:18 AM

Bob, how does PVAS get access to the school?

There is a section of Pohick that we may be able to sample. I went out there last year but accessed the creek via boat. I will see if there is walking access.

#4 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:52 AM

Drew, I'm not following you. What school?

Bob, how does PVAS get access to the school?

There is a section of Pohick that we may be able to sample. I went out there last year but accessed the creek via boat. I will see if there is walking access.

#5 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:03 AM

Don't they meet at an elementary school? I can't get to their website to check.

#6 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:10 AM

The meeting site I was thinking about is in Maryland, at a police station. It turns out that they aren't open to the public, like I thought they were. The PVAS meets at a school on Sideburn road in Fairfax. Is that what you were thinking of? I think they have to pay for their meeting place.

Don't they meet at an elementary school? I can't get to their website to check.

#7 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:21 AM

That's the one I was thinking of. Maybe a nature center?

#8 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:57 AM

The ones here charge for the room.

That's the one I was thinking of. Maybe a nature center?

#9 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:01 PM

Is there anyone who could supply a laptop and projector for a DC area meeting?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users