Now this is one you wouldn't expect

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:22 PM

I was working today in Gwynn Falls (North of Baltimore, MD), and I shocked up a yet to be identified loach species. I guess the good news is after going "What the ____!", it wasn't followed by something like "snakhead" or "walking catfish". The bad news, people dumping pets seems to be alive and well, unless someone knows something about using loaches as bait for brown trout that I don't. It's pickled soon to be sent off and hopefully an NAS alert to follow shortly.

#2 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:37 PM

We have the stinking Oriental weather loach pretty well established here in Southeast Michigan, so somehow it does not surprise me much that they are on the move to new locations.

#3 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:53 PM

Actually, given their utilization of a broad range of habitats in temperate to downright cold climes, it's not very surprising at all. The surprising thing is that they haven't become established more often... which might be a function of propagule density...

Let us know when you figure out what species it is.

cheers,
Dave

#4 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:33 AM

Let us know when you figure out what species it is.

cheers,
Dave

Can you post a few photos?

#5 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:09 AM

Well an Oriental Weather Loach was found in NJ last year. I googled up some photos since fishbase seems to be crashed or incredibly slow today and sure enough that looks like what I got. You're right Dave, the more I thought about the broad geographic range of loaches it started to make alot more sense to me and does make you wonder out of the many aquarium things that tend to be found why not more of these in the cooler parts of the country. Quite a robust, and slimy critter!

#6 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:49 AM

We caught one or two of these near Tampa a couple of years ago, along with some jewel cichlids.

#7 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 02:09 PM

my brother found some in an inclosed system(apartment pond) in clearwater

#8 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:44 PM

We have the stinking Oriental weather loach pretty well established here in Southeast Michigan, so somehow it does not surprise me much that they are on the move to new locations.

I've been fortunate enough not to encounter any during sampling trips in Washtenaw, Livingston, and western Wayne Co. Where did you find yours? Do they seem to prefer a particular type of habitat?

#9 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:13 PM

I wonder if they could be caught and sold to pet stores?

#10 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:25 PM

I wonder if they could be caught and sold to pet stores?

I personally would prefer to see them caught and smashed on a rock..These fish are Illegal to possess in Michigan but I still see them in pet stores. While I would not call them invasive like the Round goby they are still taking up and competing with native fish for habitat and spawning grounds. I would not want these fish being re-circulated and further distributed then they already are.

#11 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:27 PM

I've been fortunate enough not to encounter any during sampling trips in Washtenaw, Livingston, and western Wayne Co. Where did you find yours? Do they seem to prefer a particular type of habitat?

Clinton river..there are a couple spots where they are rather common to find.

#12 Guest_rnbwdarter_*

Guest_rnbwdarter_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:11 PM

That is sad. I'll never understand how someone could just let their fish go... I realize that they may not understand the impact it may have on the habitat. What I don't get is that they care enough not to flush it, but they don't care if it lives or dies out on its own in a totally unknown habitat. Why can't they care just a little more and call a LFS? PETCO/Petsmart are REQUIRED to take in all unwanted animals including fish. (but don't let that get out, we will have baby hamsters coming out our ears)

#13 Guest_flamingo_*

Guest_flamingo_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:19 AM

Actually, what's sad, is that these fish aren't even tankbusters. Not some huge fish people can't house in the future, not something that eats 20$ worth of food a week, but a few inch fish that could be kept in any normal sized tank. Or one that could just be pawned off on someone.

#14 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:49 AM

Actually, what's sad, is that these fish aren't even tankbusters. Not some huge fish people can't house in the future, not something that eats 20$ worth of food a week, but a few inch fish that could be kept in any normal sized tank. Or one that could just be pawned off on someone.

I've seen them advertised as pond fish, so perhaps that's how they escaped.

#15 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2007 - 07:31 PM

I've seen them advertised as pond fish, so perhaps that's how they escaped.

A pond fish? My goodness! I believe you. However... I've kept weather loaches with my tropicals before (I don't have any now), and really liked them. But I never would have thought of them as pond fish, much less turning them loose.

I'd ask you to send them to me; I could make a few bucks selling them to my LFS :wink: ; they're perfectly legal here, and a cool aquarium fish. But since it's illegal to possess them in Michigan, it would be kind of hard to send them without possessing them first. Obviously, somebody possessed them illegally if they were released there. $@%!$$ idiots!

#16 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:22 PM

Obviously, somebody possessed them illegally if they were released there. $@%!$$ idiots!

These have been established for a long time in Michigan, some records state there existence as early as 1938 but not established or widespread until the 1950's. They where here and loose quite some time before laws where introduced regarding them which was not until I think 1994(edit or 2003) and later with better legal language and guidelines in 2005.

#17 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2007 - 12:41 PM

We're putting up an invasive species fact sheet online soon and I'm writing up the report now so I thoguht I would throw up the pictures since I have them open right now. The loach was 124 mm total length.

Attached Files

#18 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:34 PM

Arrrgh....everytime I see one of those I can not help but to think "smash it with a rock"..
On another note though...Have any more been found at the sample locality yet ??

also I found the Michigan paper that might interest you (if you have not already found it):

Schultz, E. E. 1960. Establishment and early dispersal of a loach, Misgurnus anguillicaudatus (Cantor), in Michigan. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 89(4):376-377.

#19 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2007 - 01:56 PM

Thanks Richard. The fact sheet should be going up soon and that will be a good addition to the literature list. We haven't gone back to the site since we are in full swing right now covering the other 100 or so sites left.

#20 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2007 - 02:13 PM

I have just run across some info on thriving, breeding populations of weatherfish in the Grand Calumet River and the Indiana Harbor Canal. These were apparently collected in the summer of 2005. If they can live and breed in the IHC, then they are one amazingly hardy species. This probably means that they are spreading along the Lake Michigan shoreline and can theoretically reach the Mississippi drainage through the shipping canals.

http://goliath.ecnex...n.html#abstract

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users