Black spots on largemouth

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:30 PM

Hi everyone,

We recently collected some juvenile largemouth bass, and many of them are covered in these strange, slightly-raised black blotches. My friend thinks that they are some sort of trematode parasite, and that the black pigmentation is the fishes' own response to the infestation. He doesn't seem to be too worried about the fish, but they just look horrible and I really want to get rid of the parasites before they spread. Has anyone had any experience with these things before? Are they dangerous, and how do I get rid of them?

#2 Guest_flamingo_*

Guest_flamingo_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:38 PM

If they're what we get here, they're a simple type of parasite that will live for years, possibly even through the fishes entire lifetime- sadly it's unknown how to treat them. Thankfully though, it doesn't spread to other fish (see next paragraph), and it doesn't effect the fish unless it's covered completely. I've had quite a few fish with this, along with a perch atm, and it doesn't bother them. The only fish i've ever seen actually die from it were a few Lake Chubs, but they were infested to say the least.

From what my cousin has told me, they have a three part lifecycle (like a few other parasites).
Bird-Snail-Fish. Since they're missing 2/3 of the requiring cycle in an aquarium, they cannot spread.

(Of course, i'm just "guessing" as to what the fish are covered in.)

#3 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2007 - 12:48 PM

Oh boy, that's a disappointment :( Many of the fish are covered with them, and we've had a few of the very smallest victims pass away. It's good to know that might not spread, though. Maybe I'll borrow a camera and get a few shots so that everyone can see what I'm referring to.

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:49 PM

look like this? http://www.michigan....ot1_19699_7.jpg
If so it is blackspot disease, and it will not spread to other fishes.

#5 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:11 PM

Yes, I think that's what we've got. I'm going to try a few different anti-parasitic meds and see if I can't get it to go away. I guess I'm just picky that way.

#6 Guest_BigHE_*

Guest_BigHE_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:12 PM

Yes, I think that's what we've got. I'm going to try a few different anti-parasitic meds and see if I can't get it to go away. I guess I'm just picky that way.

Any luck with the meds?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users