Predatory nematodes?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:03 AM

I noticed there were fewer black banded sunfish fry in the tank than usual. I started with about 50-75, now I only see about half a dozen. Coincidentally, I saw some small worms of some kind in the tank. They're tiny, and hard to see, but the just look like eyelash hairs.

When I put brine shrimp in the tank to feed the fry this morning, I agitated the surface of the tank with my hand to distribute the brine shrimp more evenly. I saw two or three bind to the brine shrimp and immediately sink to the bottom. (I guess they've been doing the same thing with baby sunfish.)

Anybody have any idea what these things are, and how to get rid of them? I put a small corydoras in the fry tank this morning, thinking that while the critters were full of brine shrimp and resting on the bottom, the cory might get rid of them.

#2 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:36 AM

I've had the tiny worms before, and I've been told that they're harmless. I've seen no harm done by them.

#3 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:34 AM

I've had the tiny worms before, and I've been told that they're harmless. I've seen no harm done by them.

Have you had them in a fry tank? I haven't seen them eat fry, but they really snap up baby brine shrimp.

#4 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:47 PM

How did they get in there in the first place? Change in temperature and/or salinity will probably kill them but may also affect your BBS fry. It may be worth setting up another fry tank and nuking that one.

Also, do you have a write up on your breeding process/setup for the blackbandeds?

#5 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:05 PM

I was feeding the parents on daphnia/mosquito larvae that I brought in from a yard tub. I'm thinking they hitch hiked in then. Or maybe with some storebought blackworms. They're too small to give anything else much of a problem. (Sunfish fry are pretty tiny.)

No write up as of yet. The process is the one I described during my talk at the convention, which is pretty similar to what Bob Goldstein said worked for him, too.

How did they get in there in the first place? Change in temperature and/or salinity will probably kill them but may also affect your BBS fry. It may be worth setting up another fry tank and nuking that one.

Also, do you have a write up on your breeding process/setup for the blackbandeds?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users