Japanese Beetle

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_wolfie8000_*

Guest_wolfie8000_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2007 - 11:19 AM

Are these safe to eat? For some reason there are hundreds around today.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:03 PM

I can't imagine why you would want to eat these things. They look rather disgusting to me. On the other hand, I'm sure your fish would love them!

#3 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:05 PM

Are these safe to eat? For some reason there are hundreds around today.

I've found them to be quite bitter and they get in your teeth worse than popcorn... :roll:

I wouldn't feed them to fish, their hard shells may pose difficulties in digestion and depending on what they have eaten, may be toxic to fish.

#4 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2007 - 12:41 PM

I have seen racoons eat them. Some fish might like the hard shell. Then again, you never know what kind of pesticide your neighbor has been spraying.

On a related note, in Northern Illinois, this is the year for the 17 year cicadas to emerge. These are big and ugly but not as hard as beetles. Fish love them! As do racoons, skunks, and lots of other animals (dogs and cats, even!).

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:03 PM

I wouldn't feed them to fish, their hard shells may pose difficulties in digestion and depending on what they have eaten, may be toxic to fish.

I always peel them first - less mess in the aquarium that way. The shells are worthless anyway as a food source.

#6 Guest_roscoe_*

Guest_roscoe_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:44 PM

If you have larger sized sunfish or bass, I'd just toss a couple in and see how they do. I used to feed my sunfish Junebugs all the time (which are a beetle of roughly the same size as a Japanese beetle) and they ate all I could give them.

#7 Guest_wolfie8000_*

Guest_wolfie8000_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2007 - 10:19 PM

:lol: :lol: I guess I asked for that.

For alittle more detail, they would be for my sunfish. After catching a couple and realizing how hard the shell was I decided not to feed them. My sunfish are pretty picky.
I guess that's what I get for posting something in a hurry. It did recieve quite a few replies thou.

Thanks Wolfie

#8 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:21 AM

I have seen racoons eat them. Some fish might like the hard shell. Then again, you never know what kind of pesticide your neighbor has been spraying.

On a related note, in Northern Illinois, this is the year for the 17 year cicadas to emerge. These are big and ugly but not as hard as beetles. Fish love them! As do racoons, skunks, and lots of other animals (dogs and cats, even!).

Strangely, cicadas are delicious when sauteed or deep fried. I am serious. Look it up on google!

#9 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2007 - 01:02 PM

Strangely, cicadas are delicious when sauteed or deep fried. I am serious. Look it up on google!

ANYTHING is good deep fried. I had deep fried lettuce once.

#10 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:36 PM

You can vouch for this, yes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users