What to do With an empty tank

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_OTdarters_*

Guest_OTdarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2007 - 06:22 PM

I have an empty, cycled 5-gallon tank that I am itching to fill. Diverse and varied suggestions will be considered. I have experience with tropicals, and some with natives (a 10-gallon riffle darter tank) + lots of background research. However, complex breeding setups are beyond my ability. The tank is hexagonal, shaped like a rectangle with a trapezoid added to the front. It is about 2/3 as high as it is wide. My tap water is 8.2 pH and medium-hard, but I can mix in 6.5 pH rainwater (very soft). I have been thinking bluefin killifish or small shiners of some variety, but any suggestions are welcome!

#2 Guest_fuzzyletters_*

Guest_fuzzyletters_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2007 - 11:22 PM

Plants and small killies!

#3 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:27 AM

If you're tank is empty, how is it maintaining its cycle?

Stuff it full of plants (java moss) and get least killifish or pygmy sunfish. You're not working with a lot of room in a 5g, so the smaller fish would be ideal.

#4 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:20 AM

with a good filter and a powerful air stone I have a pair of johnnys,2 dusky shiners and a juv. blackbanded sunfish for grow out

#5 Guest_OTdarters_*

Guest_OTdarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:54 PM

More correctly, I have 2 fish maintaining the biofilter that I will put back in the 29 gallon tropical tank that I took them out of.

#6 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:07 PM

I don't think you'll see a better suggestion that what Drewish has suggested.

#7 Guest_OTdarters_*

Guest_OTdarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:05 AM

OK, small killifish it is then. What water parameters do they prefer?

#8 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:17 AM

OK, small killifish it is then. What water parameters do they prefer?

Room temperature is fine with them. The fish mentioned are found in the SE region of the US so they can handle warmer temps. I keep mine in my living room which stays quite warmer than my basement.

Check on aquabid for least killies. KSI Aquatics also sells some of the mentioned fishes, and if not, check with Paul Sachs (aquaculturestore.com).

#9 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:11 AM

I second that but sure hope these guys know each other and surley Drewish knew what the guy meant.

I don't think you'll see a better suggestion that what Drewish has suggested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users