Identification Help Needed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_widgeondog_*

Guest_widgeondog_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2007 - 08:52 PM

Greetings!

This is my first post and I'm looking for some help identifying a fish my son caught this afternoon. We have a pond on our property that usually dries up, and with the lack of rain it's drying up sooner than usual. My sons like to go and "save the tadpoles" and today they netted a bucnh of these little fish. they look like killifish to me, but I have been unable to ID this fish through the usual googling.

I did however find this Web site and thought I'd post the pic and see what happens.

This one (a dead one) was about an inch long. A few were larger, most were smaller. They all had a distinctive "band" near their tail fins, none of them had longitudinal stripes. Their dorsal fins are set way back on their bodies.

Posted Image

Cheers! and thanks in advance.

J

#2 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:00 PM

Welcome widgeondog. You found Central mudminnow (Umbra limi).

This is a hardy little fish that can take atmospheric air as well as use it's gills. They're a rather hardy and interesting fish.

#3 Guest_widgeondog_*

Guest_widgeondog_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:06 PM

Welcome widgeondog. You found Central mudminnow (Umbra limi).

This is a hardy little fish that can take atmospheric air as well as use it's gills. They're a rather hardy and interesting fish.

Yow! Posted Image

That was fast.

Thanks so much.

Cheers!

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:57 AM

Nice illustration!! It gives me ideas I'm sure the administrators would rather I didn't get. :twisted:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users