Curious about native species

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishrenter_*

Guest_fishrenter_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:20 PM

I have kept Central American and African Cichlids now for some time. I'm wondering what the fascination is with keeping native fish in aquariums. I've read that many have decent personalities, much like some of my midas, trimacs and odos. So this is what I have so far as aquariums. I'd like to post an idea or two with these as I list them.

125 gallon (72x18x22) - Maybe one or two male largemouth bass (how do you sex these fish?). I've heard that males get smaller than females and a female would likely outgrow the tank too fast. Maybe a small catfish for a scavenger.

100 gallon (60x18x20) - A group of sunfish maybe. Some bream, longears, and the like. Maybe a crappie?

75 gallon (48x18x20) - I think a grass (redfin) pickeral or two would do okay here.

75 gallon (48x18x20) - A warmouth and maybe something else?

55 gallon (48X13X20) - Smaller sunfish like pumpkin seed.

Okay, these tank are already well filtered and each filters the tank water at least 10 times per hour. I can probably just turn the heaters down to the low 70s I assume?

Do most of you feed prepared foods like cichlid pellets and flakes? I'm not into feeders, but I may use some that I maintain in a 10 gallon quarantine tank if necessary. I also have a 20 long I can use to quarantine newly caught fish.

Right now I'm mainly curious about going native. All these tanks currently have fish in them now.

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:37 PM

If you go native, just put those heaters up on Aquabid.

#3 Guest_fishrenter_*

Guest_fishrenter_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:55 PM

If you go native, just put those heaters up on Aquabid.

Yep. Can use to buy more fish food!

What do you think of the options I put up?

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 03:31 PM

Well, honestly, I think that you are sacrificing alot of diversity for a few larger predator types. I think with the tanks you have, a pickerel tank is a must. Also, a lepomis tank. Bass tank? Not sure. Once you begin getting in the water and seeing the diversity showing up in your net, and gaining appreciation for the smaller native community fish, You may want to rid yourself of some of those larger fish.
Many that get into the native hobby want those gamefish that they know and love, but once they spend time in the water, they realize how much more is out there to explore. I suggest getting a seine, and spending some time looking at fish before you make your complete transition. I am sure you will be able to find others in your area interested in getting out with you. Browse the photo gallery, and look at some of the fantastic smaller fish that you may find. Buy a couple of good books, and let the good times roll.

#5 Guest_fishrenter_*

Guest_fishrenter_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:25 PM

Thanks. My thing is, I don't have a clue as to how these fish get along together in an aquarium. I guess I'm going with what I've caught and know I can catch here. The little grass (redfin) pikes are good looking fish and easy to get for me. Bass are in the lake behind my house as are Lepomis. I know there are a ton of species out there. I kinda like the looks of the yellow perch.

#6 Guest_fishrenter_*

Guest_fishrenter_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2007 - 04:27 PM

Well, honestly, I think that you are sacrificing alot of diversity for a few larger predator types. I think with the tanks you have, a pickerel tank is a must. Also, a lepomis tank. Bass tank? Not sure. Once you begin getting in the water and seeing the diversity showing up in your net, and gaining appreciation for the smaller native community fish, You may want to rid yourself of some of those larger fish.
Many that get into the native hobby want those gamefish that they know and love, but once they spend time in the water, they realize how much more is out there to explore. I suggest getting a seine, and spending some time looking at fish before you make your complete transition. I am sure you will be able to find others in your area interested in getting out with you. Browse the photo gallery, and look at some of the fantastic smaller fish that you may find. Buy a couple of good books, and let the good times roll.

Oh yeah. Can you suggest some good books?

#7 Guest_factnfiction101_*

Guest_factnfiction101_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:42 AM

Many that get into the native hobby want those gamefish that they know and love, but once they spend time in the water, they realize how much more is out there to explore.

That's really true, I did the same thing. I've learned that darters, shiners, etc... are where it's at.

#8 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:58 AM

I am sure you will be able to find others in your area interested in getting out with you.

Some people here might be interested in doing that if we knew where you live. Update your profile with your location information. Once people know where you are, you may find some seining partners.

#9 Guest_BassHead_*

Guest_BassHead_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:49 PM

When Sexing Bass Females Usually have larger stomach regions do to the Presence of eggs.But then again you can also have a verry fat male.

#10 Guest_fishrenter_*

Guest_fishrenter_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:03 PM

We have a Wendy's/Shell in Tifton just off the interstate that has a 750 gallon tank with a bream and a bunch of largemouth bass. Has a channel cat in there too. It is awesome!

#11 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:59 PM

Bream?

#12 Guest_fishrenter_*

Guest_fishrenter_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:03 PM

Bream?

Okay, bluegill. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluegill

#13 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:18 PM

Okay, bluegill. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluegill

Thanks. Bream is a word to describe almost any deep bodied fish from many continents. It's hard to narrow anything down with the use of words like bream.

#14 Guest_fishrenter_*

Guest_fishrenter_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:31 PM

Thanks. Bream is a word to describe almost any deep bodied fish from many continents. It's hard to narrow anything down with the use of words like bream.

My bad. It is always what I've called the bluegill.

#15 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:59 PM

My bad. It is always what I've called the bluegill.

Around here the average joe refers to most sunfish as perch. Then they get upset like im cursing their mother when I tell them bass are sunfish and walleye are perch, lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users