A few questions about darters and

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_factnfiction101_*

Guest_factnfiction101_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2007 - 02:34 AM

1) I was wondering how many fish (such as darters and small shiners) can exist in a 10 gallon tank with weekly water changes? Currently, I have 2 shiners and 3 rainbow darters in the tank.

2) Would darters be ok with a sand bottom tank?

3) I never had a sand tank what would be some of the problems I'll run into (or things I need to think about)? Also, is there a way to clean the sand?

4) Drewish mentioned feeding live blackworms to my fish, I was wondering where can I find those at? Because I have never heard of them before.

5) I fed the darters and shiners some crab meat, has anyone else done this? They really loved it.

6) I noticed now and then one of the darter males in the tank nips at the other male, is this unusual (I think I have a female with them)?

#2 Guest_4WheelVFR_*

Guest_4WheelVFR_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:38 PM

1. Probably one trio, and this depends on species......and maybe a pair or trio of Orangespot sunnies, pygmy sunfish. Shiners and minnows usually need or do better with some swimming room.

2.I don't see why not. Just make sure your filters are prepared for it.

3. Sand going into the filer would be a problem and it may be harder to clean or siphon than gravel

4.This one I have no idea on. you may find a starter culture on Aquabid.com though.

5. Mine go crazy for frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, etc. I also catch a few small insects and mosquito larva for 'em to chow on.

6. That's normal. I usually try to keep 2 males and 3 females or 1 male and 2 females.

Hope this helps a little

#3 Guest_factnfiction101_*

Guest_factnfiction101_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:30 PM

1. Probably one trio, and this depends on species......and maybe a pair or trio of Orangespot sunnies, pygmy sunfish. Shiners and minnows usually need or do better with some swimming room.

2.I don't see why not. Just make sure your filters are prepared for it.

3. Sand going into the filer would be a problem and it may be harder to clean or siphon than gravel

4.This one I have no idea on. you may find a starter culture on Aquabid.com though.

5. Mine go crazy for frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, etc. I also catch a few small insects and mosquito larva for 'em to chow on.

6. That's normal. I usually try to keep 2 males and 3 females or 1 male and 2 females.

Hope this helps a little

Thanks a lot.

Yeah, I've read around the forum about people using different types of shrimp. I was wondering what some people thought of crab meat, since my minnows loved it. I hope it's good for them...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users