Red Moss

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:46 PM

Thanks for the update. The photos of it in your tank do make it look like Podestemon. Interesting that it is coming back. What would you say the temperature and lighting in that tank are?

#22 Guest_factnfiction101_*

Guest_factnfiction101_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:29 AM

Thanks for the update. The photos of it in your tank do make it look like Podestemon. Interesting that it is coming back. What would you say the temperature and lighting in that tank are?

Thanks for replying.

That's another weird thing about it. I have some in one tank that stays around room temperature with no water flow and the light has been off most of the time (except for the living room light which stays on quite a bit, and the tank isn't near the window). In the other tank that's in my bedroom, the water stays cooler, the lights almost always on, and it has a good current. I'm not sure about the actual temperatures, I can't find my thermometer.

In the river, it never grows longer than two inches at most. The roots cling to rocks and some have green tips. It' usually crawling with baby helgramites and other insects. I'll take some underwater video when the water warms up.

It makes walking on rocks a lot easier, walking on it doesn't seem to disturb it. The roots make it really cling to the rock, and the stems feel like thick bristles from a brush. The stems are all a dark brownish red. I've never seen green stems on it.

Edited by factnfiction101, 28 January 2009 - 04:32 AM.

#23 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:03 AM

I tried to keep some collected out of Cane Creek, Buncombe County, NC but that did not work

It eventually died

#24 Guest_factnfiction101_*

Guest_factnfiction101_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:17 PM

I tried to keep some collected out of Cane Creek, Buncombe County, NC but that did not work

It eventually died

I'm not sure what's happening to it, but after my rainbows and stonerollers died off it seems to be making a very slow come back. In both tanks it seems to be doing about the same. Different conditions in both tanks, one has a light on all the time and a current, the other has no current and little light. The roots look like a brown net is holding the rocks, it doesn't have any stems.

Usually where I fish it grows all year long and stays the same. The tips are never green on the bigger sections of it (massive flat rocks). The smaller rocks usually have dark green tips.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users