What Type Of Fish?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_joia2181_*

Guest_joia2181_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:34 AM

Looks common enough, but I still dont know the type. I'd guess some type of killi fish.The picture is a little unclear, but its the only one in focus. Attached File  unkwfish.JPG   249.25KB   4 downloads

#2 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:53 AM

Mosquitofish and banded killis.

#3 Guest_AC-Editor_*

Guest_AC-Editor_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:53 AM

It looks like Fundulus diaphanus.

#4 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:12 AM

Looks common enough, but I still dont know the type. I'd guess some type of killi fish.The picture is a little unclear, but its the only one in focus.

You're on the right track. It is indeed banded killifish.

Here is a hint for when you have some idea like this. Start with NatureServe's "Distribution of Native U.S. Fishes by Watershed":
http://www.natureser...dHucs/index.jsp

Find your watershed, and click. For Cape Cod, you get:
http://www.natureser...jsp?huc=1090002

You will only find one fundulus-type killifish on that list, the banded killifish. There's your answer.

#5 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:24 AM

Mosquitofish and banded killis.

feeder guppies look at the yellow in the base of the tail and the male on the far right.
but yeah banded kilies I had 1 and he was very personable and ate small feeders

#6 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2007 - 11:45 PM

I'd agree on the F. diaphanus, I'd even go as far to say that they are Eastern Banded Killifish or F. d. diaphanus. I don't think we were being asked to id the Guppies.

#7 Guest_joia2181_*

Guest_joia2181_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:23 AM

Thanks for the links edbihary! Thats a great resource! Appreciate all the replies everyone, and no I wasn't asking to id the feeder guppies :razz:
The pic is from a 10 gallon planted tank. There are about 5-6 swamp darters, ghost & bamboo shrimp, & the smallest baby bull head I'm ever caught out of a swarm just recently. Hopefully I can snap some shots.

#8 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2007 - 12:54 PM

Oh, haha, I must have gambusia on the brain these days. I didn't even give those guppies a second glance. At least I got the banded killies right for him! :-D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users