Algae Eater Needed For Warmouth Breeding Pond...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:32 PM

I have this wierd jelly-like algae and I want to get rid of. Is there anything I can put in there? I don't want snails because they reproduce too quick and they'll eat my warmouth eggs.

#2 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:36 PM

I have this wierd jelly-like algae and I want to get rid of. Is there anything I can put in there? I don't want snails because they reproduce too quick and they'll eat my warmouth eggs.

Anything you put in there to control algae will likely go after warmouth eggs as well.

#3 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:39 PM

get your hands on some floating plants, or get some jungle vals and put them in a pot with some dirt and about 2" of gravel on top. the floating plants will work best. floating plants use Co2 right out of the air and will out compete algae (it essentially starves to death) setting up a tarp to block the sun may also help

#4 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:56 PM

Coonstail aka Hornwort is a great algae control plant.

#5 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:58 PM

I've got water hyacinth and pond lilies in there. The hyacinth is doubling in population every week. I've currently got eight plants (I started with two a couple weeks ago). Will either of those plants help once they get bigger? The pads on the lily havent gotten real big yet. I have a smaller plant that came off of the first one, so it's just now getting pads, and they haven't quite reached the surface. I really don't want to put duckweed in there. What are some good surface plants I can put in there? BTW the pond is 100 gallons.

#6 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:15 PM

how much sun is it getting?

if you have full sun the floating plants need to cover 3/4 of the surface are of the pond before you will see a difference, water changes will help (you may get a algae die off)

I have heard that Water Lettuce (Pistia stratiotes) is really good for this sort of thing but hard to come by at times.

#7 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:27 PM

I know where to get water lettuce, and I've been thinking about getting some, so I think I will. It doesn't get full sunlight ( if it did the water would be 90 degrees... not very safe). I've got it in a good amount of shade, and I've emptied and refilled it twice in the past 2 months. I'm thinking the small inverts in the algae might be good for the fry as food. Speaking of fry, does anyone know how long the dad will care for the babies? What size will they be when he stops protecting them?

#8 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:03 PM

Get some water hyacinth if it's legal in your area.

That should multiply and cover the surface while the roots of the hyacinth should provide a place for the warmouth fry to hide in.

#9 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:37 PM

I've got water hycinth in there. It's already multiplying like crazy. Maybe I'll add some hornwort and elodea to float on the surface.

#10 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:14 PM

Both water hyacinth (Eichnornia crassipes) and water lettuce (Pistia stratiotes) are terrible aquatic pest plants in the southeastern US. They are banned in many states (although not in Georgia, unfortunately). I would beg you to consider using other species to use nutrients and create shade in your pond.

Other floating aquatic species that would work for your purposes include frogbit (Limnobium spongia), hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum), and TRUE elodea (Elodea canadensis). Beware of the Elodea look alikes Brazilian elodea (Egeria densa) and hydrilla (Hydrilla verticillata).

This page (from SC DNR) shows a good picture comparing Elodea, Egeria, and Hydrilla, so you know what to look for.

Also, you could grow some tall plants around the pond to help shade it. Providing shade (via floating aquatics or other means) works better than nutrient removal (via plants) for reducing algae.

#11 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:57 PM

Well, the pond is mostly shaded. I already have some "wild caught" elodea from the New River in NC. I brought some of it down just for the use of my pond. I can also easily get hornwort from petsmart. I also already have water hyacinth, so there is really nothing I can do about that. I took a closer look at the algae and it seems to be "hair algae".

#12 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:42 AM

I also already have water hyacinth, so there is really nothing I can do about that.

If your pond is only 100 gallons (as mentioned above), the water hyacinth is easily removed. If you like the look of it, I recommend pickerel weed (Pontederia cordata), which also has blue flowers and is quite attractive (and is native to Georgia).

A pond that receives some sun is likely to always have at least some algae. If you don't have too much of it, it is actually beneficial as it provides food and cover to support the tiny invertebrates that are eaten by fry.

#13 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:45 PM

is it black? or green?

sailfin mollys will eat the green kind, not much will eat the black (beard?) algae.

#14 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:19 PM

It's the green kind. Sailfin mollies would be a midnight snack for the crappie that's in there.

Do you know where I can get pickerel weed?

#15 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:26 PM

For algae control, I use water hyacinth (procured from a local pond) and salvinia (procured from a local slough) and bladderwort (procured from a local river). I have other plants as well, included the beloved pickerel weed which I procured (locally) on nativeplanter's advice, but they do not do much to control algae at the surface.

#16 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:51 PM

For those interested,

Water hyacinth is listed by the Mississippi Extension Service as being one of Mississippi's 10 Worst Invasive Weeds.

http://se-eppc.org/pubs/m1194.pdf

This is only one example of how this species has been condemned by natural resources managers.

A quote from the link above:
"Water hyacinth may be the world's worst aquatic weed. Sold as a water garden ornamental famous for its beautiful flowers, it has escaped into wetlands and waterways across the globe. One of the fastest growing plants known, it displaces native plants, fish, and wildlife, disrupts water transportation, disturbs recreational fishing, and blocks water intakes at hydroelectric power-generating dams." (emphasis added).

#17 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:23 PM

Man, I wish I hadn't thown all my excess into the river!

#18 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2007 - 07:22 AM

Man, I wish I hadn't thown all my excess into the river!

I would like to remind forum members (one in particular....you know who you are) that not always does the squeaky wheel get grease. In some cases people get lazy or technology comes along to make it easy to simply replace the wheel instead of greasing it :mad2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users