Trip For Late Sept Early Oct, South Ms?

51 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2007 - 08:34 PM

Last year in October, Irate, Dredcon, and myself sampled a wonderful stream in South Mississippi and I was wondering if there would be an interest in an organized outing this year.

I can't remember the name of the creek/ small river we were in but it is about 15-20 min north of Biloxi, MS. We walked up stream for 2 hours or more and the entire creek was wade able (at that flood stage), we conversed with some people in kayaks and they were dropped off a few miles up stream from the highway and were picked up down stream (where we waded from).

I am thinking about getting a cheep inflatable raft (to haul gear, buckets, lunch, etc) we leave cars on the lower end of the creek, and we can pile into my truck (we are in MS) to get to the start point up stream.

I live in Mobile, AL and the water shed I am referring to is about a one hour drive.

I do not have any dates in mind as of yet, please post id interested, and we will select a date that accommodates the most poeple,

Harry

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:49 PM

Yeah - that was great! Maybe Dred remembers the name of that steam. My days off rotate, but keep me in the loop. I'll be camping near Bogue Chitto next week (Mon/Tues) too, if you have time off.

#3 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:35 PM

good deal, when you get your schedule post it.

#4 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:38 AM

It's high time I met some of you "local" guys. My schedule tends to suck most ardently, but maybe I can make it on a Tuesday, my only real day off most weeks.

#5 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:40 AM

are weekend out of question?

#6 Guest_MScooter_*

Guest_MScooter_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:51 AM

I would like to get in on a Catfish Alliance meeting. Football season is my busy time at work but I could do a Sun./Mon. on Sep.30/Oct.1 or any Sun./Mon. after Nov. 17. The riverwalk idea sounds great. I have a 14 ft. canoe that could hold all the gear.
If anyone wants to come up this way after the 17th just holler'.

#7 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:41 PM

sept 30 sounds pretty good, we will wait until more people chime in before selecting a date. The canoe sounds perfect.

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:20 PM

are weekend out of question?

My next full weekend off is Sept. 15/16. On the dates in question (circa oct. 1, I am off Mon and Tues.

#9 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:07 PM

the name of the water shed is the

Tchoutacabouffa River, really it is

here is a web sight to check the flood stages
River stage

We will wait to select a date until we have more people interested

#10 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:44 PM

the name of the water shed is the

Tchoutacabouffa River, really it is

That's a famous river to ceramicists. "The Mad Potter of Biloxi", George Ohr, concocted his own secret blend of potting clay from white clays he found up the Tchoutacabouffa and barged back to Biloxi in the 1890s. As interesting as his pottery was (and it was!), I don't think he knew anything about the fishes in the river. (My wife is an ex-pottery studio manager otherwise I wouldn't know, I admit.)

#11 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:33 PM

I had no idea that Biloxi had a "mad potter"

But now that i think of it, if i had to chose a city, that had that claim to fame, Biloxi would be in my top 3\

Fundulus are u in?

#12 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:31 PM

I had no idea that Biloxi had a "mad potter"

But now that i think of it, if i had to chose a city, that had that claim to fame, Biloxi would be in my top 3\

Fundulus are u in?

Yeah, Ohr made all sorts of interesting items like tokens for the local bordellos. Depending on the exact date I might be in. If it's Oct. 4 - 7 I could probably make it; my wife and I were planning a Nawlins trip and this could be a day trip out of town. The Ohr connection could ice the deal. Who knew?

#13 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:22 AM

Sounds like fun to me. I don't know my teaching schedule for the fall yet, but I should be able to get away.

#14 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:05 PM

I have a vacation I can take in the first 1/2 of October, so if some dates firm up in the next couple of weeks I can go ahead and plan for it.

#15 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:11 PM

Weekends are definitely not possible for me. Mondays are iffy as well. Only Tuesday is good. Oh, well, maybe someday, but for now don't worry about accounting for me.

#16 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:38 PM

How many people interested could do it Monday Oct 1st ?

#17 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:36 PM

Weekends are definitely not possible for me. Mondays are iffy as well. Only Tuesday is good. Oh, well, maybe someday, but for now don't worry about accounting for me.

Well, hey - I'm gonna be collecting this coming Tuesday! In that part of the state, no less. Wanna come with?

#18 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:38 PM

How many people interested could do it Monday Oct 1st ?

I could. That's one of my regular days off in any event.

#19 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:06 PM

Well, hey - I'm gonna be collecting this coming Tuesday! In that part of the state, no less. Wanna come with?

Where?

#20 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:17 AM

Which part of which state? I just might be able to swing it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users