Guest_factnfiction101_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:38 AM

A South American tigerfish, I think.

#3 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:41 AM

pirarucu? (sorry bad spller) or arapaima is whatI think it is they get up to 200kg you know and over 6 feet in length

#4 Guest_factnfiction101_*

Guest_factnfiction101_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:09 AM

pirarucu? (sorry bad spller) or arapaima is whatI think it is they get up to 200kg you know and over 6 feet in length

No, it's not a Arapaima; Arapaima do not have that type of mouth. That's a Tigerfish mouth, it might be a African type of tigerfish.

Arapaima can weigh 200kg, but they can almost reach 10 feet. I saw a picture of one that had to be 12 foot. I watched a jaguar and a arapaima fight in 3 feet of water, to me it seemed like the arapaima won (if you can imagine that).

Here is the site that has that picture. It's from the Congo river, so I'm wrong, it's a African Tigerfish. Here is another picture of a Tigerfish.

#5 Guest_Eyebiter_*

Guest_Eyebiter_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:18 AM

Looks like a goliath tiger fish...just huge. I didn't know they got that big.

#6 Guest_TurtleLover_*

Guest_TurtleLover_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:43 AM

Wow, I wouldn't have even tried taking a guess. One thing for sure, I won't go wading around in the Congo! Yikes. That what I like about this sight, being able to see all these pics of fish I wouldn't have seen other wise either from your web surfing or your personal excursions. Where I'm from there's not much in the way of odd or exciting. Most of our waterways are inhabited by small trout, big trout or bigger trout. We have a few interesting natives, but I must say I'm jealous of the fish you guys see on the eastern half of the country.

#7 Guest_factnfiction101_*

Guest_factnfiction101_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:39 PM

Wow, I wouldn't have even tried taking a guess. One thing for sure, I won't go wading around in the Congo! Yikes. That what I like about this sight, being able to see all these pics of fish I wouldn't have seen other wise either from your web surfing or your personal excursions. Where I'm from there's not much in the way of odd or exciting. Most of our waterways are inhabited by small trout, big trout or bigger trout. We have a few interesting natives, but I must say I'm jealous of the fish you guys see on the eastern half of the country.

Yeah, Africa has quite a few wild fish. Australia have perch that look more like sunfish. I use wikipedia to learn more about freshwater fish. Here's a favorite of mine, but it's not a freshwater fish.

#8 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:58 PM

Look at those scales, obviously a carp. Hybrid, no doubt.

#9 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:11 AM

*snerk*

#10 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:53 AM

Thanks for the info. No pirahna I know but by the size of those teeth I think I would refrain swimming with these fellas anyway.

Daniel

#11 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:41 AM

Man, that is one fella that I would not want to mess with! It makes muskies and northerns look like pikers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users