Setting Up A 10g

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Slappy_*

Guest_Slappy_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2007 - 11:34 AM

Hello everyone, I am in the process of re-setting up an old 10g planted tank and want to try something different than the normal schools of tetras and/or rasboras, etc.
That's what brought me to this site.
I am thinking of getting a group of 3-4 Golden Topminnows (Fundulus Crysotus) and 1 Blue-Spot Sunfish (Enneacanthus Gloriosis).
Anyone see any problems with this stock in this sized tank?
Please feel free to give me any advice and information/experience with keeping these particular species, as well.

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:46 PM

Sounds like it would work. You could probably have more bluespots if you want.

#3 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:57 PM

I've been told that male Goldens can be aggressive but I haven't seen that (yet) in my community minner tank. Big male bluespots can also be aggressive so that it should work out once they establish their territories.

#4 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:49 AM

Sounds good, you could even have one less golden and one more bluespot or something. Should make a nice tank.
Actually, you could probably get away with adding a rainbow darter or two as long as you don't have a heater on the tank, that would be cool.

#5 Guest_Slappy_*

Guest_Slappy_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:13 PM

Thanks guys. I was worried the tank might be too small, 2 Bluespots would be cool.
Maybe I'll go with 2 Golden Topminnows, 2 Bluespots, and 1 Rainbow Darter.
I like the Rainbow idea.

#6 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:28 AM

I've found that my rainbows are much more interesting when they have other rainbows around.

#7 Guest_Slappy_*

Guest_Slappy_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:03 PM

I'll certainly take that into consideration. Thanks.

#8 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:38 PM

Hello everyone, I am in the process of re-setting up an old 10g planted tank and want to try something different than the normal schools of tetras and/or rasboras, etc.
That's what brought me to this site.
I am thinking of getting a group of 3-4 Golden Topminnows (Fundulus Crysotus) and 1 Blue-Spot Sunfish (Enneacanthus Gloriosis).
Anyone see any problems with this stock in this sized tank?
Please feel free to give me any advice and information/experience with keeping these particular species, as well.

A ten gallon is really too small for adults of the fish you mention. I'd suggest a twenty long minimum and that assumes fairly well planted. And adding rainbow darters means somebody isn't gonna be too thrilled with their home, rainbows like fast riffle like current which isn't near that preferred by the fish you mention. Not to say they couldn't live together in slower water but it would be kinda like keeping a monkey with nothing to climb and swing on.

#9 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 12:26 AM

I have golden topminnows, bluespots, and rainbow darters in the same tank. Believe me when I say they are all fat and happy. You don't need current to keep darters, I have several species of them without having any type of stream tank or current set up.

#10 Guest_Forest Grump_*

Guest_Forest Grump_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 12:43 AM

I agree on going with a 20 and having a heavily planted aquarium. I have a 62 with two 300 gpm streams, one pointed up and the other down. I have golden topminows, bluespotted and many darters including rainbows. I know darters like an oxygen rich environment and I would assume the others do too. The darters like to be crowed and will perch on each other. The goldens will take over the top and the sunfish the middle. My goldens are now mating. None of these fish bother each other. They each have their own territory and I've made lots of places for them to hide.

#11 Guest_Slappy_*

Guest_Slappy_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:13 AM

A ten gallon is really too small for adults of the fish you mention. I'd suggest a twenty long minimum and that assumes fairly well planted. And adding rainbow darters means somebody isn't gonna be too thrilled with their home, rainbows like fast riffle like current which isn't near that preferred by the fish you mention. Not to say they couldn't live together in slower water but it would be kinda like keeping a monkey with nothing to climb and swing on.

Well, that certainly sucks. I already ordered the above mentioned fish. Looks like I'll have to upgrade eventually. The 10 gallon will be heavily planted with non native plants.
Cryptocoryne balansae
Cryptocoryne becketti
Micro Swords
Monoselinium tenerum
Lobelia cardinalis
Cryptocoryne lutea
Cryptocoryne wendtii bronze + wendtii red
Cryptocoryne spiralis
Lilaeopsis maurituis
Narrow leaf Java Fern
Dwarf Hygrophila
Anubias nana petite

The tank is filtered with a Rena Smartfilter 55. lol..I know. Overkill.
Maybe I'll buy a 40G breeder tank in 6 months or so. I'd only need to buy more fluorite substrate as the filter and plants can be carried over to the larger tank. Plus I have a spare AC 200/30 laying around and a couple of power heads.
I should have just made the 10g a refugium for my 75G FOWLR.

#12 Guest_Slappy_*

Guest_Slappy_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:37 AM

I emailed the supplier and requested that they cancel the Rainbows. I believe this tank will not be setup properly for them and will be too warm for one thing.
So, I'm pretty much looking at 4 Golden Top minnows, 2 Blue spots and a slew of ghost shrimp.
In the future, I'll try collecting my own fish.
At least these are tank raised, disease free, and aren't exclusive live-feeders.
Thanks for all the helpful advice. I'll post pics when this tank is ready.

#13 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:42 AM

Yeah, I'm sorry for not elaborating further on the darter thing, I was just thinking about the current question that came up. My darter tanks are in an environment that almost never even reaches 70 degrees, even in the hottest months, and I have airstones with lots of plants as well. They do like their O2 thats for sure, in fact I believe that I lost some due to the fact that the airstone wasn't in the tank at first.

Oh yeah, are those ghost shrimp feeders? Cause they will be. Once my bluespots figured out they tasted good, it was mass slaughter. :grin:

#14 Guest_Slappy_*

Guest_Slappy_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:03 PM

That's the idea. ;)
I'm hoping their presence will entice the fish to feed. There are about 20 shrimps ranging from 1/4"-2". Some will be used to start a breeding colony.

I've researched and looked at a few Darter tank pictures and videos and definitely would like to setup a fast flowing river/stream tank for a group of them. They are a blast to watch. A 40g breeder tank would be about perfect.

#15 Guest_Forest Grump_*

Guest_Forest Grump_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:42 PM

I emailed the supplier and requested that they cancel the Rainbows. I believe this tank will not be setup properly for them and will be too warm for one thing.
So, I'm pretty much looking at 4 Golden Top minnows, 2 Blue spots and a slew of ghost shrimp.
In the future, I'll try collecting my own fish.
At least these are tank raised, disease free, and aren't exclusive live-feeders.
Thanks for all the helpful advice. I'll post pics when this tank is ready.

My darters do just fine around 80 degrees. Shallows of streams often get to 80. The high for my tank has been 85 this summer and all did just fine. I have two 6 inch airstones and a venturi on the power head. Lot's of air, lots of surface agitation.

#16 Guest_Slappy_*

Guest_Slappy_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:56 PM

Interesting and good to know. They look like they need a tank with a decent footprint if keeping them in a sizable group. I'd like to keep a small colony of them (10-12). I'm using Hydor Koralia 3 powerheads in my saltwater tank and was wondering if these power heads would be fine to use in a darter tank. I'd rather have a gravel and stone bottom for these guys. The 10g I'm setting up will be carpeted with plants for the most part...not very darter friendly is it?
If I wanted to get just 2-4 of them, would they be compatible with Central American Cichlids? I have a 75g already setup with Jack Dempsey, Salvini, Firemouth and a lone Polypterus Senegalus Bichir. The bichir is young right now, but I'm thinking a fully grown one might snack on 3" darters. This particular tank has a good flow of water already. It's filtered with an Emperor 400, an AquaClear 500, HOT Magnum, and a MaxiJet 1200 power head flowing through a modified Seaclone protein skimmer that has been converted into a bio-chamber full of bio-stars.(not actually used as a skimmer).

#17 Guest_Forest Grump_*

Guest_Forest Grump_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:57 PM

Don't know about the Ciclids but darters love plants. Mine will even perch on the sword plant leaves and also on top of the power head. Remember darters do not have swim bladders. They like big rocks too for perching and rock caves to get away from others.

#18 Guest_Slappy_*

Guest_Slappy_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2007 - 12:52 AM

Fish and plants are finally in the tank. The supplier sent me a few more fish than I asked for but I'm not complaining. The Blue Spots are very tiny (3/4" avg), and the Golden Top minnows range anywhere from 3/4"-2". Overall I'm very happy with the tank and fed the fish with some freeze-dried tubifex tonight.
Here's a pic of the finished tank. The fish are pretty lost in the jungle of plants, but I know they're diggin' it. ;)
Attached File  100_2025.jpg   83.61KB   0 downloads

#19 Guest_paoutlaw13_*

Guest_paoutlaw13_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2007 - 07:59 AM

Id have to say that is an amazing looking tank. you really did a great job on it. did you collect any of those plants or where they all ordered?

#20 Guest_fuzzyletters_*

Guest_fuzzyletters_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2007 - 05:54 PM

Yeah that's gorgeous... I'm jealous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users