Are Rainbow Trout (oncorhynchus Mykiss) Kept?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Forest Grump_*

Guest_Forest Grump_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:08 PM

I haven't seen much here on our native trout such as the rainbow (Oncorhynchus mykiss) aka steelhead. I caught a nice 9 incher yesterday and returned it to grow up but it sure was pretty and it tossed the hook in the net. It got me thinking that it would have been a great keeper for the aquarium.

So has anyone tried to keep them here with what results? I would imagine that a chiller would be required. I do know of one set up down the hill, I think a 200 and it is difficult because they are a "dirty" fish so very efficient high flow filtration is a requirement. I suppose food would also be expensive. Couldn't be that much different than any other predator other than a chiller.

They can get to 14#'s here in the lake so a biiiiig aquarium would be required. The andronamous forms, steelhead, also occur in the lake, probably close to 50%, and it's almost impossible to tell the difference until cooking time red/white meat.

Several of our streams have trout. The closest has stickleback (2 spine) and a brook trout. I am not sure of the species at this altitude but I have seen them and they are about 3 - 4 inches long.

#2 Guest_TurtleLover_*

Guest_TurtleLover_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 02:28 PM

Rainbow/Steelhead trout are very dirty. I've put some volunteer time in at a rainbow hatchery (trying to get in with State Game & Fish, good way to meet the important people) and they are DIRTY fish.
Mainly, since the trout are a game fish they probably have size restrictions at which they can be taken from the water as well as using only certain methods. Also, you would have to observe bag limits. Check your State's fishing guide for all the rules and regs.

#3 Guest_4WheelVFR_*

Guest_4WheelVFR_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:34 PM

Brook Trout could be done. A very large tank with powerheads for current and a chiller to keep the tank cooler and you'd be ready to go. I think you'd need a very large tank, even for Brookies.

#4 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2007 - 04:14 PM

If you can afford the setup, I think a brook trout tank would be stunning.

#5 Guest_TurtleLover_*

Guest_TurtleLover_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:48 PM

That's one setup I'd love to have one day is a brookie tank. We don't have a permanent house yet so I have to wait. Also, brookies are a more attractive trout than rainbows IMO.

#6 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2007 - 11:43 AM

That's one setup I'd love to have one day is a brookie tank. We don't have a permanent house yet so I have to wait. Also, brookies are a more attractive trout than rainbows IMO.

Hear, hear!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users