Frozen Foods For A Pickerel

25 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:00 PM

Some of my buddies have mentioned the fact that you really should convert a pickerel to frozen foods.
Are there any other reasons for the need to do this other than the risk of transmitting an illnesses from the feeders?
Also, what frozen foods would be appropriate for a pickerel? (Beef Heart)?

Thanks for the help!

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:06 PM

Overall feeders are dirty and to minimize exposure it is advised that you get your fish off of them.

I feed mine primarily frozen market shrimp and pellets. You could probably get them to take frozen silversides.

#3 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:20 PM

I feed mine primarily frozen market shrimp and pellets. You could probably get them to take frozen silversides.

May I ask what type of pellets?

#4 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:21 PM

Hikari floating carnivore pellets

It took me almost a year to get it on pellets, but I didn't try that hard during that span.

#5 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 01:16 AM

My recent acquired grass pike has finally decided to start eating live rosy reds. It took him a little over a week to feed. Even though drewish has conditioned his grass pike on frozen food, it is a tedious task. I believe it is going to take me some time.

This is my first real captive grass pike. It will be interesting to see how fast I can get my fish weaned off live stock. Like drewish, I am in no hurry.

Once my fish consistently and regularly takes live rosy reds, I plan on introducing frozen/freeze dried food and present it with the same technique I used to capture this little magnificent beast.....SKITTERING a mini-tube.

If you note, a rosy red has similar color and size to freeze dried krill.

Of note, (this is mishmosh's theory which I feel is valid but unproven) juvenile fish are the easiest to domesticate. Wild caught fry and mature adults seem more difficult to wean from live food than the wild-in-between juveniles. This is just a generalization.

What I am trying to say is that a 3-6 inch fish may be easier and more adaptable to domesticate.

M.

#6 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:18 AM

I just got Him recently also. Mine is a smaller one probably about 4 inches. The problem with the pellets is they are really hard. My Grass pickerel can eat smaller rosy reds but usually he gets guppies. As for the market shrimp would cutting it into smaller peices work? Also, what about the frozen beefheart? Is this an appropriate food for a Pickerel?(since on the box it says "for all freshwater carnivores") A whole silverside would probably be too big so what should I start with to try to get him off the feeders.

#7 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:14 PM

I basically cut the shrimp into slivers small enough to fit in its mouth. I then defrost it in warm water. It may appear more fishlike this way. I've also been able to feed it freeze- dried FW shrimp so that is another option for you.

#8 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

• Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:41 PM

You have so many options.

I have caught some white suckers (rather large fish of 18-20 inches). I harvested the filet and cut it into appropriate 2 inch strips.

This is what I call prime select cut filet.

Freeze the individual strips. If you are worried about pathogens, freezing for 2 months is a crude but effective and natural method of killing pathogens.

Any forage fish is fair game.

I bowfish to obtain the prime select cut filet. It is fast and easy and I dont have to wade with nets or seines.

I select suckers since northern pike prefer this fish to any other. I am only assuming that grass pike would love them too if they got big enough to eat them.

If you can get your grass pike on a varied diet, I think that is beneficial.

Dangle and skitter the filet. It offers a very provocative and undulating motion. I have been fishing for pike (chains and northerns) for years. They will SMASH IT.

M.

#9 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

• Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:47 PM

By the way....you got a perfect sized specimen!!!

How did you obtain your specimen?

And for the love of god....where are the pics???

Hey, did I mention that you should post some pics of your grass pike???

M.

#10 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:28 PM

Working on those pics!

By the way since they're not considerd a game fish here is it legal to take them with a net?

I love taking pictures of this fish because they hold still almost all of the time.

#11 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

• Guests

Posted 05 August 2007 - 06:47 PM

It is legal to take them with a net. Exceptions are as follows:

1. Castnets are not allowed in inland waters.
2. Minnow seines can only be used to take minnows.

You may use umbrella nets, dip nets, or hand nets for grass pike.

Hand nets may have any length handle, and any diameter net size.

I would not bring any net in any designated trout water.

Having said that, if I caught a grass pike with a minnow seine, I would most likely keep the grass pike.

You could always get a collectors permit from the state of MI and not even worry about it at all.

M.

#12 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:13 PM

Sorry for not posting sooner. But , yeah I caught him with a hand net. i finally got around to getting pics. Sorry they're not that good. Trying to convince my parents to let me get a new camera. By the way how do you go about getting a collecter's permit?

I named him George!

Well here they are... (last one is the best)

Attached Images

• fish_006.jpg
  • fish_015.jpg
  • fish_023.jpg
  • fish_036.jpg

#13 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

• Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 05:46 PM

That is an awesome specimen.

NICE CATCH.

Please give the dimensions of your hand net.

Would you be so kind to at least tell me what county you caught that posh fish?

M.

#14 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:21 PM

Actually the net was just one of those little nets that you can get at walmart. I didn't have anything else with me at that time. Its pretty small probably like a foot wide and six inches tall??? I got pretty lucky to catch him he was in shallower water and i chased him a few minutes before i got him. Can't really remember but I think I got him over near Ludington not sure though.

Oh by the way i'm assuming that you should feed them Raw table shrimp.

#15 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

• Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:57 PM

I thought you go south to catch yours.

Ludington is extremely north.

M.

#16 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 07:06 PM

I love that last photo. You caught it with the light just right. It shows how truly green this fish is. The pattern on it looks dark, almost black, but it is really just a very dark green. Your photo brought out the greenness of the pattern, and I love it. Everything about a grass pickerel is a shade of green. A truly remarkable fish!

#17 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:28 PM

Yea I guess that Ludington isn't that far south but it is a little south from where I live. Thats the farthest north I ever caught one.

I really like the last picture too Edbihary! Don't know what i did differently with that one from the others. I snapped about thirty shots and that one stood out right away.

So I'm going to start trying to get him on some new food. thinking of trying the shrimp first.

#18 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:30 PM

Does the shrimp have to be "pure"? Because we have a package of raw table shrimp in our freezer and I looked at the ingredients and it said shrimp, salt , Sodium tri(something)phosphate (to retain moisture). Wasn't sure but are these extra ingredients going to hurt my grass pickerel? thought I would ask first to be safe.

#19 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:43 PM

Does the shrimp have to be "pure"? Because we have a package of raw table shrimp in our freezer and I looked at the ingredients and it said shrimp, salt , Sodium tri(something)phosphate (to retain moisture). Wasn't sure but are these extra ingredients going to hurt my grass pickerel? thought I would ask first to be safe.

Thaw, rinse, soak, rinse...

#20 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:02 PM

I got pretty lucky to catch him he was in shallower water and i chased him a few minutes before i got him.

Thanks for mentioning all the help you got catching him!!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users