Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:58 PM

What's wrong with my elodea?

Posted Image

Sorry for the sucky pic.

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:25 AM

My guess - not enough light. Elodea is known for needing a lot of light.

#3 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:56 AM

My guess - not enough light. Elodea is known for needing a lot of light.

Ok. Thanks.

#4 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:52 AM

FYI: I've got elodea in a 110 gallon tank and its pushing 2 feet in length now. Originally, the stuff wouldn't grow with the twin 40w fluorescent tubes. Then I decided to build a light from a 4 foot piece of PVC rain gutter and six of those spiral fluorescent lights that fit standard incandescent sockets. Now the elodea and the val grow like crazy.

So yes, lots of light is a big plus.

#5 Guest_AndrewAcropora_*

Guest_AndrewAcropora_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:05 PM

Check out home depot, they have some power compact floodlights at a decent price.
They're made by Light of America.. I've forgotten the model number.

#6 Guest_vasiliy_*

Guest_vasiliy_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:11 PM

Aren't elodea invasive?

#7 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:20 AM

Aren't elodea invasive?

Elodea (generally Elodea canadensis) can be invasive, but it is also a North American native. Sort of like how cattails (Typha angustifolia) are native but can be very invasive when there are excess nutrients. There are also 3 other less common species of native Elodea - E. bifoliata, E. nuttalii, and E. schweinitzii.

However, you may also be thinking of "Brazillian elodea" (Egeria densa) and Hydrilla (Hydrilla verticillata). Egeria is commonly sold in the aquatic plant industry, but is quite a pest. Hydrilla is also a major pest in some areas.

#8 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:22 PM

In Alabama it's now illegal for pet stores to sell Elodea because it's been listed as an invasive. I thought this was silly because it is a native, but maybe the state legislature in its wisdom meant to list the Brazilian form. I use the plant in teaching, and luckily I found a local aquarium store that sells it under the counter to people they know use it for teaching. I had a colony, but it finally ran thin.

#9 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

Guest_troutperch beeman_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:01 PM

"Then I decided to build a light from a 4 foot piece of PVC rain gutter and six of those spiral fluorescent lights that fit standard incandescent sockets."

Please explain or show picture. I've been thinking about doing this but cannot find the right doulbe bulb sockets anywhere. I've looked at home depot, lowes, and my local hardware store but none have double sockets.

#10 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:22 PM

"Then I decided to build a light from a 4 foot piece of PVC rain gutter and six of those spiral fluorescent lights that fit standard incandescent sockets."
Please explain or show picture. I've been thinking about doing this but cannot find the right doulbe bulb sockets anywhere. I've looked at home depot, lowes, and my local hardware store but none have double sockets.

Let's see if this link works...http://forum.nanfa.o...p...l=&pid=9412

#11 Guest_vasiliy_*

Guest_vasiliy_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 02:38 PM

Sort of like how cattails (Typha angustifolia) are native but can be very invasive when there are excess nutrients.

I didn't know there was a native cattail, very interesting! Which area is it native to?
I always thought that all the cattails we have are the Eurasian ones.

#12 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2007 - 11:30 AM

We have 3 species of cattails that you are likely to see. There is some disagreement as to whether T. angustifolia is native or eruasian; most likely it is native to the US, but is is exotic in some states. The one we most often see is T. latifolia, which can form huge stands. (I misspoke in my post above, I meant to say Typha latifolia)

The dwarf cattail that you see for sale in the garden center is from Eurasia. Don't know if there are others.

#13 Guest_vasiliy_*

Guest_vasiliy_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:23 PM

We have 3 species of cattails that you are likely to see. There is some disagreement as to whether T. angustifolia is native or eruasian; most likely it is native to the US, but is is exotic in some states. The one we most often see is T. latifolia, which can form huge stands. (I misspoke in my post above, I meant to say Typha latifolia)

The dwarf cattail that you see for sale in the garden center is from Eurasia. Don't know if there are others.

I was looking up some plants in a field guide recently and it turns out the field guide had a section on aquatic plants. There I found out that Typha latifolia is native to my state.

Sort of like how cattails (Typha angustifolia) are native but can be very invasive when there are excess nutrients.

How do excess nutrients form?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I forgot to say that in the field guide I also found out that there are two native species of water milfoil, but It doesn't say how to tell them apart. Does anyone know how?

Edited by vasiliy, 05 September 2007 - 03:36 PM.

#14 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:38 PM

How do excess nutrients form?

Fish waste or any waste for that matter, fertilizers, etc.

I collected Elodea (riverweed) from my local river and it died in my normal fluorescent tank but is going nicely in my compact fluorescent tank. Regular fluorescent tank only has 3 tiny fish in it so may have been a lack of nutrients as well. Compact fluorescent tank has a good number of fish and fluorite.

I plan on growing it in my 180g but until I get my Metal Halide lighting setup that won't be happening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users