Bizzare Tiny Fish ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishgirl_*

Guest_fishgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:51 PM

Hi fish friends. I caught this fish in a pond near The Everglades in South Florida. It looks like a sunfish but it is less than half an inch long, much tinier than I have ever seen. It doesn't swim much in the tank, just hovers near the bottom hiding in the tank vegetation. The dorsal fin towards the front of the fish is taller than the back, which seems to be different from most of the sunfish pics I have seen. Thanks for your help.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:55 PM

Cichlid

#3 Guest_fishgirl_*

Guest_fishgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:58 PM

Cichlid

Yes, you could be right about that. There are a lot of cichlids in the area. Do you have any idea what kind it could be? Thanks

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:08 PM

No, I do not, but I am sure it is not Lepomis

#5 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 10:27 PM

Anyone here ever raise Parachromis managuensis aka jaguar or aztec cichlids? It's been years since I've seen such a small fish but I might look that direction. Did you catch and photo any adult fish from the area?

#6 Guest_fishgirl_*

Guest_fishgirl_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:39 PM

Anyone here ever raise Parachromis managuensis aka jaguar or aztec cichlids? It's been years since I've seen such a small fish but I might look that direction. Did you catch and photo any adult fish from the area?

It looks like a jaguar but the dorsal fin does not fit the description. The large adult fish I have seen in the area include Mayan cichlid, Warmouth, assorted tilapia, bluegill and bass. Smaller fish include mostly mosquitofish and bluefin killifish. The dorsal fin doesn't seem to be similar to any of the adult fish I have seen in the area.

#7 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:11 AM

It's not a Parachromis. I saw hundreds of Parachromis juvies in Costa Rica and got pretty good at those. It appears to be one of the Acaras, possible blue or port, in the genus Aequidens.

#8 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:49 PM

It appears to be one of the Acaras, possible blue or port, in the genus Aequidens.

If one of those, it would be yet another new exotic species for Florida :( . It might be a juvenile Black Acara (Cichlasoma bimaculatum). They are common fish throughout south Florida and are similar to your fish, however I have never caught one that small so I can't say for sure.

#9 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:12 AM

Even if I could tell you it's name, it would only change again in a few months.

I guess you'll just have to raise it up for a year or so until it turns into something recognizable.

#10 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:44 AM

Go post it on one of the cichlid forums to see what they have to say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users