Is This A Trout/ What Kind Of Fish Is It?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2007 - 03:07 AM

I'm no river fisherman but these where caught on a 300 acre lake In Southern Wisconsin.

They were caught on a twistertail and on leaches. In fairly shallow water with a gravel/sand bottom. They fought like and jumped like bass. Mildly interested in them.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2007 - 05:56 AM

Smallmouth bass.

#3 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2007 - 09:07 AM

small mouth bass alright
very cool we have redeye not small mouth so I dont get to see smallmouth that much

#4 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2007 - 04:49 PM

I've caught smallies before and I can post some pics of the one's I've caught and they look different. I'll post a picture in a bit.

we initially thought they were bass but the brown markings on the mouth threw us off. They aren't so clear in the photos but in person they were very vivid.

It's obviously not a LMB, or a rock bass, and it doesn't look like either of the smallies in the photos I'm posting. excuse the messy/greasy hair. We weren't very well groomed on this fishing endevor.

Attached Files

#5 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2007 - 04:54 PM

They can look different in their patterns and colors between streams to lakes and even within different types of lakes. It's a smallmouth.

#6 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2007 - 11:31 AM

I've caught plenty of smb that look just like that! Really pretty.

#7 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2007 - 02:48 PM

First pic is largemouth bass.
Second pic is rock bass (redeye).
Third and fourth pics are smallmouth bass.

#8 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2007 - 04:04 PM

I know that I put them there for a compasrisonm to the orriginal fish in question. I now believe that is a SMB but it just looked really wierd to us... all the smb we've caught look like the one in the picture I posted after.

#9 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:47 PM

When questioning whether or not it was a trout or a bass or unknown for that matter you could have looked at the type of fins and their makeup. For example, salmonids have a soft fleshy adipose fin while sunfishes/bass do not. They do however have a spiny and soft dorsal fin while salmonids have no spines and only have a single dorsal fin. Similarly you could have looked at the makeup of the anal fin. There are basic characteristics like this and other things such as mouths, fin placement, scale type, etc. that can help you distinguish a fish from another fish on the family level right off the bat. Since you live in WI, you should start playing around with the online version of Fishes of Wisconsion to learn some of those family level characteristics that distinguish things such as trout from bass from pike from catfish, etc. and then work on down to more specific cases.

#10 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:21 PM

My knowledge of fish comes from well fishing... I have played with the fishes of wisconsin online book thing. Basically I could tell you on site any sunfish, pike, bass(now obviously), catfish down to subspecies. Very unimpressive to say the least but we never were river fishermen and there is only one lake aound us that has smallies and this was the lake we caught it in. What made me have the idea it was a trout was that.
1. I had never seen the cheek markings on a smallie like that before.
2.The lake is deep and large and could sustain trout if they are in it.

now when I look at it i think duh, I'm stupid these fish fought the same as any smallie I had caught.

#11 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:50 PM

Well, that is one way to tell!

BTW Zep, do you play, or are you just a ZepHead?

#12 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 11:16 AM

My knowledge of fish comes from well fishing...

How deep is this well, and what kind of fish do you find in it? Is the water drinkable?

#13 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 02:08 AM

How deep is this well, and what kind of fish do you find in it? Is the water drinkable?

haha I should of added a coma, my apologies.

EDIT: I play bass although I'm not in a band. I can play decently well but my problem is memorizing the music.

#14 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:58 AM

That must be difficult, I only play minnow...

MW

P.S. Yes I know it was a bad joke... but at least I did not ask him how to tune-a-fish...

EDIT: I play bass ...

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#15 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 12:07 PM

MW

P.S. Yes I know it was a bad joke... but at least I did not ask him how to tune-a-fish...

I also play Bass but I'm just starting; I only play scales.

#16 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 12:31 PM

EDIT: I play bass...

I also play Bass but I'm just starting; I only play scales.

If I'd have known all this was coming, I'd have never made the bad joke about "well fishing" :roll:

#17 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:57 PM

How many bass players does it take to change a light bulb?

I-V-I-V

sorry, that's lame.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users