Saline River, Arkansas

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jeff H._*

Guest_Jeff H._*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:15 PM

Here's some pictures from today. I haven't had time to ID any of the fish yet. We caught a bunch of others, but it was entirely too hot to get a bunch of pictures (105 degrees).

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:33 PM

1+2 rainbow darters
4+5 red shiners

#3 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:04 PM

Cool Jeff..we'll get on to getting ID's for you on those..I already pretty much know but I'm quick on time to recheck the ID to a reference. Something I like to do these days..

BTW..great to have you on the forum also :)

#4 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:34 PM

Okay,

Here's my shot:

1-2: Etheostoma asprigne
3: Lythrurus fumeus
4 & 6: Cyprinella whipplei
5: Notropis atherinoides

Alright guys, tell me why I'm wrong.....

#5 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2007 - 07:57 PM

Hey Jeff!

I suspect the blue and yellow cyprinella is Blacktail shiner (C. venusta) and I also feel the the plain shiner with the huge eye is a Bigeye shiner (Notropis boops)

Hard to be sure so take my ID's with a bit of skepticism.

I don't feel comfortable with ID's on Arkansas darters yet but don't quite get the rainbow darter vibe.

I can now see Dustin's ID's and must admit that I do like the Mud darter angle. I've only seen what I believe are Mud darters on two occasions and seems about right.

I do see a spot on the Cyprinella peduncle Dustin. Should that rule out Whipplei? I'm not sure to be honest.

The eye on that Notropis is too large for atherinoides and the dorsal scale pigment suggests other than atherinoides.

#6 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:25 PM

Alright my guesses are:

1 & 2 - Etheostoma collettei
3 - I don't know
4 & 6 - Cyprinella venusta
5 - Notropis boops

Of course I know nothing about Arkansas fishes so.....

#7 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:57 PM

I also, can see boops. I am not sure on venusta, but certain its not whipplei. I would buy mud darter over rainbow. The rotten looking shiner in the middle, I cant even guess

#8 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:08 PM

Hey Jeff!

I suspect the blue and yellow cyprinella is Blacktail shiner (C. venusta) and I also feel the the plain shiner with the huge eye is a Bigeye shiner (Notropis boops)

Hard to be sure so take my ID's with a bit of skepticism.

I don't feel comfortable with ID's on Arkansas darters yet but don't quite get the rainbow darter vibe.
I can now see Dustin's ID's and must admit that I do like the Mud darter angle. I've only seen what I believe are Mud darters on two occasions and seems about right.

I do see a spot on the Cyprinella peduncle Dustin. Should that rule out Whipplei? I'm not sure to be honest.

The eye on that Notropis is too large for atherinoides and the dorsal scale pigment suggests other than atherinoides.

Wow, that was fast. You could have given me a few moments of glory....

I am fairly certain on the asprigne. It is either that or collettei based on it's collection locale and the asprigne has that orange patch on the belly.

The whipplei, was in retrospect, a bad choice. The color in the fins made me think it wasn't venusta, and the only other choice was whipplei, but I suppose they can color up that much on occassion.

I originally thought boops on the Notropis as well, but wasn't certain. I agree that this is what it is. THe eye is certainly very large. I just thought that it looked a little slender for boops, but I concede. Very nice job guys.

#9 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:27 PM

I originally thought boops on the Notropis as well, but wasn't certain. I agree that this is what it is. THe eye is certainly very large. I just thought that it looked a little slender for boops, but I concede. Very nice job guys.

The picture of this Notropis has a huge glare spot on it, but one possible ID would be telescope shiner which also has a large eye. There is a disjunct Ozarks population of telescopes, although I don't know where precisely this fish was collected.

We had a record temperature for the day in Huntsville of 104 deg. F, so it was certainly a choking hot day here too.

#10 Guest_Jeff H._*

Guest_Jeff H._*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:05 AM

Ok, we IDed out these fish earlier today.

#1&2 are mud darters (Etheostoma asprigine)
#3&5 are bigeye shiners (Notropis boops)
#4&6 are blacktail shiners (Cyprinella venusta)

We also caught some other notable specimens not pictured: saddleback darters (Percina ouachitae), striped shiner (Luxilus chrysocephalus), taillight shiners (Notropis maculatus), centrachids (longear, bass, etc), redfin pickeral (Esox americanus), and a few others.

It was pretty productive, I just wish it would have been 20 degrees cooler.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users