My New Grass Pickerel

20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:08 PM

I would like to thank natetessler13 for the grass pickerels.

I now have 2 beautiful grass pickerels, and I would like to share some photos.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:32 PM

They look really sickly and emaciated - are you sure they're gonna be OK?

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

#3 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:28 AM

They look really sickly and emaciated - are you sure they're gonna be OK?

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

YES!!! They actually ate guppies last night.

#4 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:50 AM

YES!!! They actually ate guppies last night.

feed 'em until you think they are going to crap out whole fish!!! that'll put some meat on them!!

#5 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:44 PM

feed 'em until you think they are going to crap out whole fish!!! that'll put some meat on them!!

They really don't look unhealthy at all, a little stressed from being collected Saturday by Nate kept in a bucket all night then being driven 3 hours by car then acclimated for 2 hours and put in an aquarium at 8:00 pm sunday evening. If I went through all that I'd look pretty bad myself.

#6 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:50 PM

Nah, they look fine. Irate is just a chump ;)

One suggestion though... Feed them worms. If they're too small for chunks of nightcrawler, get them leaf worms. Save for the occassional stream collected feeder, you'll introduce less problems that way. And they store in the fridge, if your wife is okay with that.

Todd

#7 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:50 PM

Thats what I figured

And they store in the fridge, if your wife is okay with that.

I have a "fish fridge" actually it's a dorm fridge but it keeps what I need.

#8 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:45 AM

You're most welcome for the Grass Pickerel. I can't believe you made a 3 hour drive to come pick them up, but I guess it's all part of being a fish fanatic.

#9 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2007 - 03:17 PM

You're most welcome for the Grass Pickerel. I can't believe you made a 3 hour drive to come pick them up, but I guess it's all part of being a fish fanatic.

What else was I gonna do? I really wanted them!

#10 Guest_rpiotr01_*

Guest_rpiotr01_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:34 AM

tglassbruner,

Just curious, what size tank do you have them in now, and is that just for now, or their permanent home? Thanks!

p.s. gorgeous fish btw ;)

#11 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2007 - 05:27 PM

tglassbruner,

Just curious, what size tank do you have them in now, and is that just for now, or their permanent home? Thanks!
p.s. gorgeous fish btw ;)

They are in a 55 for permanent, unless I get the 125 my neighbor keeps promising me.

:( Down to 1 now the pike tried to eat a large snail while I was at work. The feeders must not have looked good, he passsed up 6 guppies and 12 shiners.

On the plus side the one remaining is eating like mad he ate 4 shiners and 5 guppies this afternoon.

#12 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2007 - 05:39 PM

They are in a 55 for permanent, unless I get the 125 my neighbor keeps promising me.

:( Down to 1 now the pike tried to eat a large snail while I was at work. The feeders must not have looked good, he passsed up 6 guppies and 12 shiners.

On the plus side the one remaining is eating like mad he ate 4 shiners and 5 guppies this afternoon.

I'm going out next wed. to an area known to contain grass pickerels, maybe I'll get a replacement.

#13 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2007 - 08:18 PM

I'm going out next wed. to an area known to contain grass pickerels, maybe I'll get a replacement.

That's why I was kinda confused why you didn't just save the ecopoints on gas and get them local. They're right down the street from you in the headwaters of the Grand, Cuyahoga and Chagrin. Anywhere that's slower moving and heavily vegetated will have them. You'll find cool things like brook stickleback, warmouth, mudminnows and possible redside dace too. You might even be lucky enough to run into some northern brook lamprey :)

Todd

#14 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:38 AM

That's why I was kinda confused why you didn't just save the ecopoints on gas and get them local. They're right down the street from you in the headwaters of the Grand, Cuyahoga and Chagrin. Anywhere that's slower moving and heavily vegetated will have them. You'll find cool things like brook stickleback, warmouth, mudminnows and possible redside dace too. You might even be lucky enough to run into some northern brook lamprey :)

Todd

Well, Nate was going to bring them to the trip we had planned on Sun., but it got cancelled, so my buddy and I decided to go get them. If I dont find any, I'll get some from smbass.

#15 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:53 AM

Hmmph! So I'm a chump now, am I? :angry:

One of these days youse guys will take me seriously.

#16 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:48 AM

One suggestion though... Feed them worms. If they're too small for chunks of nightcrawler, get them leaf worms. Save for the occassional stream collected feeder, you'll introduce less problems that way. And they store in the fridge, if your wife is okay with that.

Todd

Todd,
What is a leaf worm? I am imagining a worm that we used to go fishing with in GA. We found them under logs in the woodpile, and they were very wiggly, with smooth slick skin. Very juicy; they sort of popped a little when put on a hook. Do you think this is the same worm?

#17 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:29 PM

Todd,
What is a leaf worm? I am imagining a worm that we used to go fishing with in GA. We found them under logs in the woodpile, and they were very wiggly, with smooth slick skin. Very juicy; they sort of popped a little when put on a hook. Do you think this is the same worm?

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe photo?

#18 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:36 PM

They're right down the street from you in the headwaters of the Grand, Cuyahoga and Chagrin. Anywhere that's slower moving and heavily vegetated will have them. You'll find cool things like brook stickleback, warmouth, mudminnows and possible redside dace too. You might even be lucky enough to run into some northern brook lamprey :)

Todd

Then get your butt out here someday and teach me the ways!!! I'm still new to all this collecting stuff, I learn fast, but have only collected with someone that knows what they are doing 1 time.

Tom

#19 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:30 AM

Then get your butt out here someday and teach me the ways!!! I'm still new to all this collecting stuff, I learn fast, but have only collected with someone that knows what they are doing 1 time.

Tom

Hey Tom I'm a lot closer than Nate, also he and I may be getting out this sunday afternoon before he starts his new job working with me shocking fish 80 hours a week. If you have trouble finding them on your own let me know I may be able to help, and like you said if all else fails I have plenty of them in my captive population.

#20 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 03:45 AM

Mishmosh, if you are listening....these guys are stating that there are grass pikes in the headwaters of the grand, chagrin, and cuyahoga rivers.

M.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users