Stress Coat Poll:

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Poll: Stress Coat - Marketing or Medicine? (42 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think, is StressCoat actually helpful, or is it just a way to get aquarists to buy aloe vera?

1. Marketing scheme - don't fall for it! (11 votes [26.19%])

Percentage of vote: 26.19%

2. It's the real deal - I never leave home without it! (10 votes [23.81%])

Percentage of vote: 23.81%

3. I have scientific data which proves it works! (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. I have marketing data which proves people THINK it works (6 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

5. Voted Huh? Hey, where can I get some shovelnose sturgeon? (15 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:36 PM

Feel free to comment on your experiences.

#2 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:42 PM

Never have used the stuff so I'm not sure how to vote other than the shovelnose sturgeon spot.

#3 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:44 PM

Never have used the stuff so I'm not sure how to vote other than the shovelnose sturgeon spot.

That would be a vote for "marketing gimmick" !

#4 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2007 - 06:01 PM

I would have voted for that if I had tried it with no apparent results, but since I have no experience at all...

#5 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2007 - 07:52 PM

Where are the S. platorynchus???

I think I've used the stuff because I had some little free packets and needed to declor some water once...I can not see how Aloe would work well for a fish though unless you wanted to heal a hot smoked trout to make it's skin soft....

#6 Guest_Nolapete_*

Guest_Nolapete_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 01:03 AM

I've used it for many years and found it to be helpful in accelerating recovery from external trauma such as torn fins, lost scales, etc. Aloe is therapeutic as a healing balm. I don't see why anyone would doubt its helpfulness. At the very least, if lost slime coat areas are coated with it they should recover faster. That's been my experience.

#7 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:45 AM

I have never used much of anything else. Someone recomended it to me once and I stuck with it. It has not killed my fish anyway. I am no scientist and I do water changes a little different than probably most on this site so there you have it. I go for sturgeon to I guess. There were not enough answers to choose from for me.

#8 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:47 AM

I've used it for many years and found it to be helpful in accelerating recovery from external trauma such as torn fins, lost scales, etc. Aloe is therapeutic as a healing balm. I don't see why anyone would doubt its helpfulness. At the very least, if lost slime coat areas are coated with it they should recover faster. That's been my experience.

Actually this is what I meant to say!

#9 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:00 AM

if lost slime coat areas are coated with it they should recover faster. That's been my experience.

But how does the Aloe know where to stick??? Unless you rub it on the fish it is just floating around sticking to all sorts of stuff like Bucket walls, plants, Gill filaments...

It seems to me that the addition of salt does the same thing more effectively.

#10 Guest_OTdarters_*

Guest_OTdarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:33 PM

I've had limited experience (i.e. half a bottle that was 5 years old) and it seems to do something to calm fish after a water change. I don't think it does everything it claims though. Maybe the stuff I had was so old it didn't work as well.

#11 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:10 PM

Perhaps I'm displaying my bias here and skewing the poll results :sad: But what you said sounds great - aloe has great properties when applied directly to human skin. I'm just not sure that translates when dumping a small quantity into the water. As for dumping a large quantity of that gook into the water - :shock:

No good facts on my end, it just smells... well, you know.

#12 Guest_factnfiction101_*

Guest_factnfiction101_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 12:03 PM

I haven't seen that stress coat stuff in years. I remember seeing it when I was 10, at my local pet store. Seemed like a waste of money to me at the time...

I voted for shovelnose sturgeon because I have a 5 gallon tank to put them in (besides that sometimes when you want to see the result it will vote for you). How bout Biozymes? I've used it before, but have never noticed anything. Sorry for getting off topic, but I was wondering about that stuff...

#13 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:42 PM

This poll is almost a dead heat. Too bad Moon isn't here to see it.

#14 Guest_wolfie8000_*

Guest_wolfie8000_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:50 AM

I switched to Prime and never looked back. There was no difference, in the fish, when I switched from Stress Coat to Prime.

#15 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:16 PM

#16 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2007 - 08:53 AM

Stress Coat is still alive and kicking. I see it and buy it all the time. But I have heard a lot of good things about prime so I may look for that next. Tell me a little bit on your experiences with Prime everyone. Not meaning to change the subject but I have heard positive things about prime and I am just interested in what the people on this forum have found with using it.

Daniel

I haven't seen that stress coat stuff in years. I remember seeing it when I was 10, at my local pet store. Seemed like a waste of money to me at the time...

I voted for shovelnose sturgeon because I have a 5 gallon tank to put them in (besides that sometimes when you want to see the result it will vote for you). How bout Biozymes? I've used it before, but have never noticed anything. Sorry for getting off topic, but I was wondering about that stuff...

#17 Guest_puchisapo_*

Guest_puchisapo_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2007 - 02:25 AM

my unscientific observations suggest that it offers some benefit. i remember reading an explanation of how the aloe has some kind of charge affinity with the fish body surface that seemed to make sense.

#18 Guest_wolfie8000_*

Guest_wolfie8000_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:39 AM

It depends if your water is just chlorinated or if it contains chloramines as well. If it just contains chlorine, then you can use any thiosulphate based remover, like stress coat. If it contains chloramines, you need something extra (not just double the dose of the thiosulphate based additives because they leave the ammonia behind that was liberated from the breaking of the chloramine). Prime also takes a smaller dose to dechlorinator your water than dose stress coat and with multiple tanks comes in handy.

Here is a page with a good review of water conditioners. review

#19 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2007 - 09:56 AM

I used it and it didn't seem to matter. I had City of Cleveland water for a long time and I used Dechlor almost exclusively. If I was only adding a gallon or two I'd usually just skip it all together. Right now with City of Baltimore water I'm using Dechlor or letting it sit for a few days on the windowsill and putting nothing in it.

#20 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2007 - 10:36 AM

I used it and it didn't seem to matter. I had City of Cleveland water for a long time and I used Dechlor almost exclusively. If I was only adding a gallon or two I'd usually just skip it all together. Right now with City of Baltimore water I'm using Dechlor or letting it sit for a few days on the windowsill and putting nothing in it.

When I lived in Cleveland, I did the same.

Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users