Anyone Keep Pygmy Killifish (leptolucania Ommata)

22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 05:38 PM

I was curious if anyone kept these little guys the pygmy killifish since majority of us kept bluefin killifish for their colors and small size.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:04 PM

I was curious if anyone kept these little guys the pygmy killifish since majority of us kept bluefin killifish for their colors and small size.

Yeah, they're very easy to keep. The only trick is to use a heavily planted aquarium. The aquarium only has to be a 2.5 or 5, that's plenty of room for a pygmy killi colony. I had a colony that went for about 5 generations in a 2.5 gal. that I use as my Elodea incubator. They suddenly, mysteriously crashed...

#3 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2007 - 07:20 PM

This fish is top on my list. I have the room and will be in Mobile in the next couple of months. Anyone feel comfortable PMing me a location for them that I promise to keep a secret? I'd also prefer a location without 500 pound alligators if at all possible [-o<

#4 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 05:16 AM

I had a group of them for a while. They survived as much neglect as I could give them for 3 years, reproducing in a 20 gallon tank that I kept outside. As Fundulus said, "The only trick is to use a heavily planted aquarium".

#5 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 07:00 PM

Well I always wanted have some pygmies in my aquarium. I also looking for bluefins as well. I found it in my local petshop with shrimps. Any color morphs of bluefins would be nice. But I never seen golden morph in picture..so just let me know if someone who had too many pygmy and bluefin killifish and ill take some off of ur hands.

#6 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 08:37 PM

Well I always wanted have some pygmies in my aquarium. I also looking for bluefins as well. I found it in my local petshop with shrimps. Any color morphs of bluefins would be nice. But I never seen golden morph in picture..so just let me know if someone who had too many pygmy and bluefin killifish and ill take some off of ur hands.

Everybody finds the damn things in their petshop mixed in with the shrimp - except for me :-x I don't have a LFS, only a PetsMart, and they don't have shrimp. :cry:

#7 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 10:41 PM

Don't worry Irate, the petmart had to order some shrimps or some feeder fishes come from florida. Check out feeder guppies tank, white cloud mountain minnows tank and sometimes feeder gambusia or platies. You might found an odd fish mixing with them. I once found melanistic eastern gambusia in guppy tank.

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2007 - 10:51 PM

Hey, good idea!

#9 Guest_wegl2001_*

Guest_wegl2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2007 - 10:25 AM

This fish is top on my list. I have the room and will be in Mobile in the next couple of months. Anyone feel comfortable PMing me a location for them that I promise to keep a secret? I'd also prefer a location without 500 pound alligators if at all possible [-o<

I have found that these guys do best by themselves or with pygmy sunfish. Just fill a tank with java moss and feed. Uland, I have several sites for ommata. Let me know when you are coming. Can't make any promises about the gators. :mrgreen:

#10 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2007 - 11:33 AM

You know several L. ommata sites?
I'm in Andalusia, and while I've prowled around all over the area below me, I've never seen a trace of them. I know some Bluefin spots, but no Pygmy spots. :(

Irate, Bluefins are also commonly seen in the "plant tanks." Many stores have a couple of big tanks stuffed full of plants, and these usually have Bluefins in them. A Petland store in Ft. Walton has them all the time, and gives them away as "trash fish." heh,heh..Fools!

Oh, and yes, you can definitely find some nifty stuff in the "feeder tanks.

#11 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:54 PM

When we did that Okefenokee trip we caught ommata by the thousands. They were everywhere. I like Heterandria better.

#12 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:35 PM

I have found that these guys do best by themselves or with pygmy sunfish. Just fill a tank with java moss and feed. Uland, I have several sites for ommata. Let me know when you are coming. Can't make any promises about the gators. :mrgreen:

Thanks! I need to pick up a few cherryfin shiners for a friend as well. I'm Alabama now on a short trip but not making down that far this time. I'm pretty sure I'll be back in a week or two. If the temps cool out a bit I might be able to bring a few home.

#13 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:17 AM

Cherryfins? Ho-hum!

#14 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:44 AM

Cherryfins? Ho-hum!

I do believe this is the first case of any Cyprinid being "ho hummed". Do you have an alternative Lythrurus you would like to suggest?

#15 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2007 - 09:55 PM

I do believe this is the first case of any Cyprinid being "ho hummed". Do you have an alternative Lythrurus you would like to suggest?

Well, its a first for me, anyway! I say that because from their name you expect them to have bright red fins. Not so.

You know, I can't think of another Lythrurus I've encountered except L. fumeus. By way of comparison, L. roseipinnis sounds pretty good!

#16 Guest_uniseine_*

Guest_uniseine_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2007 - 01:32 AM

"The only trick is to use a heavily planted aquarium".

Chip,
What would you suggest if the ice outside gets 2 feet thick in the winter?
A heavily planted tank is beyond my ambitions for indoors.

#17 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:14 AM

Chip,

I don't know that I have any suggestions for 2ft thick ice. It's a really hard freeze here if we have 1/2" thick ice in the morning. I guess I'd have to suggest a heater.

#18 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:26 AM

Chip,

If you just grab a bunch of the plants in the pond before it gets too cold, you can just toss them in a large rubbermaid bin (or aquarium) and put a shop light on it until the the fish need to come in. I might start an ammonia cycle with a sponge filter once the plants come inside. The ammonia cycle will give the plants a nice growth spurt as well.

#19 Guest_uniseine_*

Guest_uniseine_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:12 AM

have you tried
If you"just grab a bunch of the plants in the pond before it gets too cold, you can just toss them in a large rubbermaid bin"?

My fears:
1/2 the plants would die and foul the water.
algae would turn the whole thing into one big green lump.
I would never know how many fish are still alive and how much to feed the tub.
I'd end up with big snails and happy dragonfly larva.

#20 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2007 - 04:10 PM

have you tried
If you"just grab a bunch of the plants in the pond before it gets too cold, you can just toss them in a large rubbermaid bin"?

My fears:
1/2 the plants would die and foul the water.
algae would turn the whole thing into one big green lump.
I would never know how many fish are still alive and how much to feed the tub.
I'd end up with big snails and happy dragonfly larva.

I don't have a pond but I have done this from the wild and never had any of your concerns occur. Dead plant matter shouldn't be much of a concern as long as you keep a shop light close to the water surface. If you don't want plants from outdoors then use honrwort from the LFS. You will get snails no matter which source you acquire plants.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users