Plant Id (finally?)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fuzzyletters_*

Guest_fuzzyletters_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:33 AM

I finally got a camera that is capable of taking pictures that just may allow someone who knows something about plants tell me what I have in my tank. Here are the pictures:

The closest thing that I have to a guess on this one is Ludwigia of some kind (repens?)
Posted Image
Posted Image

This one grows like nuts and breaks easily.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Anything you can do with these is excellent. Thanks!

#2 Guest_solidago_*

Guest_solidago_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:54 AM

Leaves adapt to their surroundings: light, fertility, etc. Flowers and fruits give the best characters for identifying species but they can be rare in aquarium plants. The first two photos resemble Ludwigia repens as you suggested. The thin leafed plants in the next photos look like one of the Potamogeton species. There are a few species with narrow leaves. I've grown a couple of different potamogetons in my aquaria with mixed results. It looks like this one is growing well for you.

#3 Guest_seanmc_*

Guest_seanmc_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2007 - 04:51 PM

I would guess that the second is "Najas grass". It grows like mad and breaks easily. It is also considered invasive in many areas (I think). Lots of people use it for breeding (especially Guppies) as it floats and gives the young a place to hide. Here's a picture of some Najas grass:

Posted Image.

To me, the first looks like it could even be some kind of "Bacopa". Are the leaves primarily short and round, or long and oval?

Cheers - Sean

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users