Spottail Shiner?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_terrapin83_*

Guest_terrapin83_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:48 AM

This came from a small creek in central NY...I'm guessing spottail shiner, but I'd like some corroboration. Seems to prefer the bottom. Any other guesses?

Attached Files

#2 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2007 - 08:55 AM

That's a tough picture to ID from. The scales are too small to be Notropis. The nickle guess is that its a bluntnose minnow. See if you can get another picture where the head is more clear. Then we might be able to get a more positive ID.

Todd

#3 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2007 - 06:02 PM

I doubt it's a spottail based on shape of head, snout and position of mouth but other than that, don't know what it is. my 6 cents.

#4 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:40 PM

Complete guess on my part but with that thick caudal, my first thought is P. vigilax.

A better shot will help.

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:25 AM

Complete guess on my part but with that thick caudal, my first thought is P. vigilax.

A better shot will help.

P. vigilax has a funny face and a dorsal spot - not evident in the photo but could be...

#6 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2007 - 10:00 AM

I'm going with Creek Chub because of the head shape small scales and lack of any Pimephales markings on the dorsal fin.

#7 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 August 2007 - 02:19 PM

I don't think it's a creek chub. There is no spot on the dorsal and the face seems all wrong. I don't think it's a spottail or bluntnose either.

Could it be Notropis heterolepis?

Terrapin, where was this fish collected? Could you tell me the body of water or the county?

#8 Guest_terrapin83_*

Guest_terrapin83_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:22 AM

I don't think it's a creek chub. There is no spot on the dorsal and the face seems all wrong. I don't think it's a spottail or bluntnose either.

Could it be Notropis heterolepis?

Terrapin, where was this fish collected? Could you tell me the body of water or the county?

I'll try to get a better picture soon, but this is actually in a friend's tank so I'll have to work out a time to get over there and take a new one. This came from Butternut Creek in Onondaga County. farmertodd already mentioned this, but do you think the small scales rule out Notropis?

#9 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:21 AM

I'll try to get a better picture soon, but this is actually in a friend's tank so I'll have to work out a time to get over there and take a new one. This came from Butternut Creek in Onondaga County. farmertodd already mentioned this, but do you think the small scales rule out Notropis?

I just moved to Jamesville. Where on Butternut did you collect this fish, above or below the Res? Maybe I can grab another. I need pickerel and gar food anyhow. I have pulled a lot of creek chub of all sizes out of that watershed, FWIW.

#10 Guest_terrapin83_*

Guest_terrapin83_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 12:36 PM

I just moved to Jamesville. Where on Butternut did you collect this fish, above or below the Res? Maybe I can grab another. I need pickerel and gar food anyhow. I have pulled a lot of creek chub of all sizes out of that watershed, FWIW.

Below the res(as in downstream), in Dewitt. Not too far from Wegman's grocery store. I've also gotten creek chubs out of Butternut before.

#11 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 01:28 PM

I'm still betting on this being a young creek chub but a better picture would help. Here is a picture of a small creek chub I took...

Attached Files

#12 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:31 PM

No spot at the base of the dorsal...maybe it's just white bucket syndrome, but that would make me think it's not a Creek Chub.

#13 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:52 PM

Seeing the two pictures together I am more convinced that the OP's fish is not creek chub. Not only does it lack the dorsal spot I have seen on every creek chub of any age I have ever caught but it also appears that the OP's fish has a much more deeply forked caudal fin.
I suggest narrowing down the list of species it could be. Terrapin, try doing a Natureserve county/watershed search and see whats in your area. Then post it here. I took the liberty of looking through my copy of C. Lavett Smith's "Inland Fishes of NY" and looking at the distribution maps came up with these cyprinids in your area...

Central Stoneroller
Cutlips Minnow
Golden Shiner
Lake Chub
Blacknose Dace
Longnose Dace
Creek Chub
Fallfish
Pearl Dace
Eastern Silvery Minnow
Comely Shiner
Common Shiner
Brindle Shiner
Blackchin Shiner
Blacknose Shiner
Swallowtail Shiner
Spottail Shiner
Northern Redbelly Dace
Bluntnose Minnow
Fathead Minnow

Since it looks like a creek chub, but without the dorsal spot could it be a pearl dace?

#14 Guest_terrapin83_*

Guest_terrapin83_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2007 - 11:18 PM

Seeing the two pictures together I am more convinced that the OP's fish is not creek chub. Not only does it lack the dorsal spot I have seen on every creek chub of any age I have ever caught but it also appears that the OP's fish has a much more deeply forked caudal fin.
I suggest narrowing down the list of species it could be. Terrapin, try doing a Natureserve county/watershed search and see whats in your area. Then post it here. I took the liberty of looking through my copy of C. Lavett Smith's "Inland Fishes of NY" and looking at the distribution maps came up with these cyprinids in your area...

I tried Natureserve, and the watershed search isn't working properly (for me at least). It allows me to choose a watershed (Oneida), but not any search criteria.. I think you might be going somewhere with the pearl dace though...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users