Refrigerator Fish Care?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:24 PM

I've been fortunate enough to find an understanding wife as well as a great group of friends via NANFA and recently acquired a group of fish via the spring cavefish fairy. Refrigerator care is new to me and I could really use some help. I'd love to start with a few basic questions and see where this goes.

GENERAL QUESTIONS:
1. Aeration seems unimportant due to the temperature but I'm a bit nervous about this...Do I need aeration in the tank located inside the fridge?

2. If conditioning fishes for spawning is lighting needed inside the refrigerator?

3. I'm currently operating without filtration (air operated filters seemed to create too much turbulence). Do I need filtration (sponge) or will frequent water changes be enough?

I also recognize the chance of a spawn is quite low but I'd love some advice in the right direction for substrate, lighting and any possible triggers specific to captive refrigerator care of spring cavefish.

Any advice for general fridge care would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2007 - 05:35 PM

I've been fortunate enough to find an understanding wife as well as a great group of friends via NANFA and recently acquired a group of fish via the spring cavefish fairy. Refrigerator care is new to me and I could really use some help. I'd love to start with a few basic questions and see where this goes.

GENERAL QUESTIONS:
1. Aeration seems unimportant due to the temperature but I'm a bit nervous about this...Do I need aeration in the tank located inside the fridge?

I RECOMEND IT.

2. If conditioning fishes for spawning is lighting needed inside the refrigerator?

YES, LIGHT SOURCE AFFECT WATER SO CONSIDER. USE FULL SPECTRUM LIGHT. PHOTOPERIOD RECEPTOR MAY BE MOST SENSITIVE TO SHORTER WAVE LENGTH LIGHT.

3. I'm currently operating without filtration (air operated filters seemed to create too much turbulence). Do I need filtration (sponge) or will frequent water changes be enough?

WITH SPRING CAVE I RECOMEND SPONGE FILTRATION WITH AGING OF WATER AT TEMPERATURE OF FRIDGE.

I also recognize the chance of a spawn is quite low but I'd love some advice in the right direction for substrate, lighting and any possible triggers specific to captive refrigerator care of spring cavefish.

I AM GUESSING INTERACTION BETWEEN SEXES AT THE TIME OF GAMETE RELEASE SIMILAR TO PIRATE PERCH. EMBRYO DISPERSAL MAY BE VERY DIFFERENT WITH THEIR PLACEMENT BY ONE OR BOTH SEXES IN SOME SORT OF CREVICE AS WITH PIRATE PERCH. HOLDING OF SMALL GROUPS OF EGGS / EMBRYOS IN GILL AREA OR MOUTH MAYBE SHORT TERM AS TRANSFERRED TO DEPOSTION SITE. SPRING CAVE FISH MY BE HIGHLY CANNIBALISTIC AND / OR ONE OR BOTH PARENTS MAY PROTECT DEPOSITION SITE(S). ANYONE FIGURED OUT HOW THEY DO SPAWN?

Any advice for general fridge care would be greatly appreciated.

DRILL WHOLE IN TOP FOR INTRODUCTION OF WIRING. NOT LOW ON SIDES OR BOTTOM AS COLD AIR WILL BEHAVE LIKE WATER OWING TO DENSITY THUS STAYING IN FRIDGE IF OPENING NOT AIR TIGHT. SEE YOUR LOCAL SUPERMARKET DAIRY / MEAT SECTION BEHAVIOR OF COLD AIR IN OPEN CONTAINER.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users