10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_seanmc_*

Guest_seanmc_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:04 PM

Hi,

Can anyone help me ID this fish?

Posted Image

Caught in a minnow trap (with about 60 others, most of which we released) in a small creek which eventually ties in to the Holland River (and ultimately, I guess, Lake Simcoe) in York Region, Ontario. The water was only about 12" deep and moving at a medium speed.

I've just been calling it a "Creek Chub", but am curious as to what it might actually be. From past experience, I think these grow out to about 4-6" inches long. This guy is just under 3".

Thanks - Sean

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:37 PM

Yes, actually it is a creek chub (Semotilus atromaculatus) large mouth, large rounded tail, diffuse dark line ending in a caudal spot, and the easiest to use as an id... the dark spot at the leading edge/insertion of the dorsal fin.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_seanmc_*

Guest_seanmc_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:11 PM

Thanks Michael! Nice to know for sure.

Do these pose a threat to crayfish, ghost shrimp, or other smaller minnows/sticklebacks/darters?

On the other end of the spectrum, are they safe with perch, bluegill and rock bass (in a 90G)?

Trying to figure out where to keep them.

Thanks - Sean

#4 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:27 PM

Thanks Michael! Nice to know for sure.

Do these pose a threat to crayfish, ghost shrimp, or other smaller minnows/sticklebacks/darters?

On the other end of the spectrum, are they safe with perch, bluegill and rock bass (in a 90G)?

Trying to figure out where to keep them.

Thanks - Sean

Creek chubs can reach about a foot in length, though I would think around 8" is the more likely average. They will eat what they can fit in their mouth, this includes shrimp and smaller fish. They can be housed with the gamefish you mention but with the stock list you mention I would keep an eye on water quality and just make sure one fish isen't large enough to eat the other.

#5 Guest_seanmc_*

Guest_seanmc_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:36 PM

12 inches! Never seen one that big up here. But I think that fish don't get as big in Canada (a 5lb large mouth bass would be considered huge up here, and I know you guys can get them 9-10lbs or more down there).

I guess we'll keep them in the 90G.

Thanks - Sean

#6 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:30 PM

12 inches! Never seen one that big up here. But I think that fish don't get as big in Canada (a 5lb large mouth bass would be considered huge up here, and I know you guys can get them 9-10lbs or more down there).

I guess we'll keep them in the 90G.

Thanks - Sean

I have never seen one that size either, the largest I ever caught was probably 6". Just about everything I read however says they can reach larger sizes, most probably just don't survive long enough to do so. It would make sense that fish in Canada would stay smaller because of your cooler temps but keep in mind that will all change once in aquaria.

EDIT: Here is a link to a photo of some pretty large creek chubs.
http://www.nativefis...maculatus-2.jpg

#7 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2007 - 10:48 PM

Yeah, creek chubs can hit 12 inches (or ~30 cm). I've seen them in Alabama that big even in small spring run systems. It still startles me when I find them that big.

#8 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:30 AM

...fish don't get as big in Canada...

Fish in Canada will generally achieve the same sizes, it just takes quite a bit longer to reach those sizes due to the colder water and shorter growing season. A 5lb bass from your neck of the woods would be older than one from Pennsylvania and considerably older than a Florida bass.

#9 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:09 AM

Fish in Canada will generally achieve the same sizes, it just takes quite a bit longer to reach those sizes due to the colder water and shorter growing season. A 5lb bass from your neck of the woods would be older than one from Pennsylvania and considerably older than a Florida bass.

Lets also not forget that a bass in Canada will have a longer lifespan then one in Florida.

#10 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:38 AM

"but keep in mind that will all change once in aquaria."

Sandtiger is correct.

Remember that a basically constant temperature will be maintained in your aquarium, as apposed to a short warm season in Canada.

As to size, I have caught 8" creek chubs in streams on hook & line, while small mouth fishing. And they will eat what ever they can fit in there mouth. I have caught them on hook & line with minnows, worms, and small spinners. Your bass will become a pain in the "big toe" :lol: in a short period of time.

#11 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:09 AM

Your bass will become a pain in the "big toe" :lol: in a short period of time.

If it were me, I'd really consider something besides a bass and creek chub tank. You have a TON of awesome fish that live near and around you (esp among the Cyprininds/minnows), you just need a little time to find your way to them.

Have you run across this publication?
http://www.dfo-mpo.g...-on/index_e.htm

This would be a helpful thing to have with you streamside and will keep your choices to a minimum so you don't have to bother yourself with all the stuff we have down here.

Your higher diversity streams will be those draining into Lake Erie and St. Clair, such as the Grand and Syndenham. But around Simcoe and north, you really get into the northern distributed Cyprinids that are sooo cool, such as the pearl, northern red belly, and finescale daces. In any of the groundwater driven streams, you should find longnose and blacknose dace in the faster riffles. And you've got blackchin and blacknose shiners, iowa darter abundantly in any lake, and probably hordes of rosyface and common shiner in the more productive portions of the watersheds.

Todd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users