Variety, Good Topminnows And Other Small Fish

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_factnfiction101_*

Guest_factnfiction101_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:37 AM

What are some types of Gambusia that would be good for a 10 or 30 gal tank (or other types of small topminnows)?

and also what would be a good mid level fish that would play nice with them?

The tank will also have Rainbow darters (2-3).

#2 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:03 AM

What are some types of Gambusia that would be good for a 10 or 30 gal tank (or other types of small topminnows)?

I would discourage the use of Gambusia. They are very aggressive and not terribly attractive. I would suggest some of the smaller topminnows, such as lined(or any of the other starheads), goldens, banded, etc. For the middle, a smaller shiner would work nicely. One of my favorites is the sailfin shiner complex. We have lowlands around here and they are great fish. THey stay relatively small, have a nice dorsal fin and base coloration and spend quite a bit of time displaying to each other. This being said, any small shiner should work well. If you wanted to go a different direction, you could always go with one of the Enneacanthus sunfishes. These are small, peaceful, very colorful and easy to care for.

#3 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:54 PM

I also suggest no gambusia. Mountain Redbelly dace would be great and they are in your area I believe.

#4 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2007 - 08:36 PM

Bluestone River

Here's an interesting link, is Bluestone River near you if so Roanoke darters would go nicely as well, longnose dace. And go for the thirty gallon. Check out the pdf's at bottom of the page.

#5 Guest_airbrn1187_*

Guest_airbrn1187_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2007 - 10:43 PM

I also would not suggest Gambusia I had finally caught one and thought it would be nice to keep....but it picks on everything that moves and is a pig....so needless to say she is in a 2-1/2 all by her lonesome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users