Plants At Fish Stores...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NativeLover_*

Guest_NativeLover_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2007 - 03:35 AM

Many of the creeks that surround the town I'm in don't have vegetation. So I've decided I'm going to the fish store to buy some. Anyone know of any non-natives in pet stores that would be ok in cooler water? I wish I had some native plants, but with a hectic shedule, this will save me some time. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Adam

#2 Guest_seanmc_*

Guest_seanmc_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:58 AM

Hi,

You can find some native plants at fish stores (or at least exotic relatives of native plants). Here are some that I've found that do well in cooler water (they can be found in the lakes/rivers near me in Ontario):

- Ceratophyllum demersum (hornwort/coontail)
- Vallisneria americana (tape grass, water celery)
- Elodea canadensis (elodea, may be classified as invasive where you live)

Here are some more other natives that may be OK:
- Sagittaria subulata (narrow leaf sag)
- Bacopa caroliniana

Also, in my experience, the exotics java moss, java fern and anubias sp. seem to be pretty much indestructable.

Cheers - Sean

#3 Guest_NativeLover_*

Guest_NativeLover_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2007 - 11:45 PM

I bought about 4 bunches of hornwort. In 3 days they skyrocketed in growth and have reached the top of my 29gal. If I cut it, could I replant what I cut off? I think it would work as the bunches that I got had no roots. Thanks for your input thus far. The hornwort are flourishing in the tank. I will have to check out the other plants you listed.

On a side note, does anyone know of favorable conditions where you would find native plants growing in a stream or river? The creeks and river I visit never have plants in them. Are there certain environments I should look for?

Adam

#4 Guest_flamingo_*

Guest_flamingo_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:02 AM

Make sure you dose regularly, when using Hornwort.
It's notorious for taking over, using up nutrients quickly, and dying off.
It has different tendencies in individuals tank- usually either growing nicely, or not surviving.
Replanting the "cuts" could possibly grow a new plant, if enough is started with.
A large amount of bunch plants take nutrients through their leaves, and partly the small roots growing up along the plant (not in all types).

I would also suggest Elodea, Anarchis, certain Aponogeton species,
Hygrophila angustifolia, Banana Plants, Guppy/Naja Grass, Cabomba, etc.

The area of plants depends on what type your looking for.
Most will likely grow anywhere, but certain plants are known for certain areas.

Examples-
Slow-moving water, with deep mud or deeper water:
Anarchis, Cabomba, Elodea, Hornwort, Lilies, etc.
Mainly large bunch plants, or plants with deep root structures.

Small sand beds:
Guppy/Naja grass, Vallisneria (Jungle), Branching Algaes.
Smaller rooted species, attached plants, or "runners."

Streams, higher water flow with rocky bottom:
Anarchis, Elodea, Vallisneria (thick root system varieties), Aponogetons, etc.
Complex-Rooted plants, etc.

In the end, it's mainly up to where your area is.
While WI may have shown what I've posted, it may be different where you would collect.

#5 Guest_seanmc_*

Guest_seanmc_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:56 AM

Hornwort is a fast grower and a nutrient pig. It is a non-rooted plant, typically floating, but can be "planted". You should be able to take cuts and "plant" them and they shoud do fine.

Najas/Guppy Grass is also a floating fast growing plant that can literally fill up your tank if you let it go wild.

Cheers - Sean

#6 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2007 - 11:40 AM

as someone mentioned in a previous post, java moss is a good one. It does best in cool water and is a nice filler providing cover for fry and live foods as well. It doesn't grow terribly fast and looks really nice when established on an object such as a rock or wood. If you do get some java moss (especially from a source ogther than the LFS) I would recommend isolating it for a week or so in an aerated tank. I had a surprise two dozen rainbow fry hatch out of the batch I bought. I "fried" them with a cheap heater though :-({|= only two survived.

AQUAMOSS
ebay search

I've experimented with some local (native?) aquatic and semi-aquatic mosses but with very limited success. Mostly just lengthening the time until complete and utter death.

Native plants are great when you can get them, but the reality is that your fish won't give a damn what continent they originated in as long as they are real, and healthy. Have fun.

Edit: If you do find natives to collect try to get young plants. While the older plants may look bigger and better they are, shall we say more set in their ways and will not respond to a drastic change in envirionmental stimuli (e.g., light, nutrients, etc.) as well as younger specimens.

#7 Guest_jimjim_*

Guest_jimjim_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2007 - 12:28 PM

Hi All; Just a note on collecting moss. Look for moss that grows on tree bases and or dead wood in/out of water. Its its in a flood plain (even small ones) they usually grow better in aquaria for some reason. I've been collecting native plants for about 35 years and noticed these were the easiest to keep. Try to stay away from cool flowing water and stick with the swamp/stagnet water souces. Drainage dithes are great places to find what we call pond moss here. See first pic. The second pic grows on cypress trees around the base and on the knees......Jim

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users