Plexiglass Tank?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:24 PM

basically it would be a ractangle shapeed box with an open top and plywood attached to the bottom and bottoms of the sides for bracing. what kind of glue could I use to keep it together/watertight. I'm thinking this might be a good way to afford a tank if/when I can find some darters. Please post some ideas...or if you think I would be better off just buying another aquarium.

If I made it myself it would probably be like 40+gallons and shallower/longer/wider then most tanks that size. If I were to buy it it would probably be a 30 long or breeder, or even a 20 long...

I want to keep a large population of rainbow/greenside darters, and some kilifish. and possibly 2-3 dwarf crays.

OR

There were these "assorted chichlids" that grow to ~4 inches long and where freshwater and need a temprature of 72-82 degrees, I think they purple, and other colors would really make the tank light up with the darters.

any opinions?

edit: think of a shoebox as the wooden part with the glass attached to the insides, this would be done to the top part too but without the big sheet covering it.

#2 Guest_fuzzyletters_*

Guest_fuzzyletters_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 02:25 PM

be careful with those assorted cichlids because they may be assorted african cichlids and those can be pretty agressive i think

#3 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 02:42 PM

yeah, I'm pretty curious on tank building though so if someone has information I'd really appreciate it.

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 05:46 PM

It is not cost effective UNLESS you can scavenge the materials.

#5 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:50 PM

It is not cost effective UNLESS you can scavenge the materials.

My dad makes sports plaques as a hobby/buisness on top of his normal job. needless to say we go through a lot of the stuff.

#6 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:57 AM

I am pretty sure that "Plexiglass" is a brand name for acrylic. Could someone on the forum confirm this? Search this forum for "acrylic", there have been several threads about making tanks, photo boxes, filters, etc. from acrylic.

#7 Guest_devoneli_*

Guest_devoneli_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:17 AM

I think those "assorted cichlids" are African mbuna, mainly kenyi, auratus, and zebras (mainly hybrids), all of which grow much bigger than four inches and are very aggressive.

basically it would be a ractangle shapeed box with an open top and plywood attached to the bottom and bottoms of the sides for bracing. what kind of glue could I use to keep it together/watertight. I'm thinking this might be a good way to afford a tank if/when I can find some darters. Please post some ideas...or if you think I would be better off just buying another aquarium.

If I made it myself it would probably be like 40+gallons and shallower/longer/wider then most tanks that size. If I were to buy it it would probably be a 30 long or breeder, or even a 20 long...

I want to keep a large population of rainbow/greenside darters, and some kilifish. and possibly 2-3 dwarf crays.

OR

There were these "assorted chichlids" that grow to ~4 inches long and where freshwater and need a temprature of 72-82 degrees, I think they purple, and other colors would really make the tank light up with the darters.

any opinions?
edit: think of a shoebox as the wooden part with the glass attached to the insides, this would be done to the top part too but without the big sheet covering it.

#8 Guest_airbrn1187_*

Guest_airbrn1187_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:46 PM

The best web site i have seen for plexi tanks is this

http://www.cichlid-f...ic_aquarium.php
http://duboisi.com/d...k/bndiytank.htm

the other one which is by far the least expensive is making a wood tank

http://www.cichlid-f...d_aquarium2.php

#9 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:20 AM

Ten gallon all glass brand tank from 7 to ten dollars. 20 long you can pick up for under thirty. Unless you are getting the plexi glass for free and plywood I would not think it very profitible to make a square tank for darters. Darters especially would enjoy a 20 long versus a 40 gallon square tank. 40 breeder tank 80 bucks. Beautiful tank. Put your darters and a few of the smaller species of sunfish. Beautiful tank I have one. Tanks I have 15 gallon, 10 gallon, 20 long and 40 breeder. The forty breeder is deeper from from to back. Nice tank.

#10 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2007 - 10:39 AM

I made a plexiglass tank once. 26 gallons.
Alas, I made it like I would have made one from regular glass. Big mistake.

Plexiglass bows under pressure, and this bowing rips the seams apart in just a few weeks.

If you want to make a plexiglass tank, then cyanoacrylate glue, krazy glue that is, works just fine. Don't try it with regular aquarium silicone sealer. ALSO, it helps to not make the joints like you would with a glass tank. Instead, after making the standard joint, add a slim strip of plexi to the inner side of the joints, and glue them into these corners on both sides. This makes for a super strong connection that won't come apart one the bowing starts.
I hope that made sense. Fill the inner side of the "L" that you get when two sides are joined at the 90 degree angle with a small square strip running the length of the joint. There are professional ways of joining two acrylic panes which make the seams disappear altogether, but these involve a lot of heat applied uniformly, which is kinda tricky and not worth the bother for a small tank.

#11 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:13 PM

wasn't really thinking of a square tank more of a wide rectangle. like 36" long and 24" wide?

#12 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:55 PM

Size and shape of the tank do not matter all that much to the fish. Darters like cool, well oxygenated, moving water. Which is easier to achieve in a long, narrow tank.

CA glue can be found in quantity in hobby stores. Hobby Lobby always has reasonable prices, if there is one local to you. "Quantity" meaning 1/2 and 1 oz bottles. Be safe and buy a tube of CA debonder, and keep it within reach, lest you glue your fingers to something heavy.

That said, there is a special solvent/glue for acrylic, which I think would be stronger for this application. (Although it is hard to argue with the good success that mysteryman seems to have had with CA.) Amongst rocketry people (where strength of materials is almost a religion), CA does not have a great reputation for strength, especially as it ages.

#13 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2007 - 01:36 PM

Oh, my success wasn't all that great. If you can find a better glue, then by all means use it! "Overkill" is always a good keyword for building tanks.

#14 Guest_bflowers_*

Guest_bflowers_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:02 AM

Oh, my success wasn't all that great. If you can find a better glue, then by all means use it! "Overkill" is always a good keyword for building tanks.

One of the best glue for acrylic is Weld-on #3 or #4. Technically it is a solvent not a glue. It actually melts the acrylic together.
I bought mine online and a pint will go a long, long way.

Here is where I ordered mine.

http://www.rplastics.com/weldon4.html

Bill F.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users