Images And Videos Of Fish Reproductive Behavior

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:31 AM

I am teaching an aquaculture course strongly emphasising life history of cultured species. Many of the students are interested in pursuing careers in natural resources rather than fish farming and the aquaculture is presently the only course at my institution provideing exposure to aquatic organisms, native or otherwise. We will be covering natural and manipulated reproduction and I would like to be able show images or video clips of spawning and brood care, where relevant. I have centrarchids and salmonids but nothing on catfishes, minnows, darters. Anyone know where I can get more?

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 10 September 2007 - 12:04 PM

I have some darter spawning video, but I am just the editor of this footage, it really belongs to Farmer Todd and I would not want to distribute it without his permission. Some of this may even be posted on his website...?

I am teaching an aquaculture course strongly emphasising life history of cultured species. Many of the students are interested in pursuing careers in natural resources rather than fish farming and the aquaculture is presently the only course at my institution provideing exposure to aquatic organisms, native or otherwise. We will be covering natural and manipulated reproduction and I would like to be able show images or video clips of spawning and brood care, where relevant. I have centrarchids and salmonids but nothing on catfishes, minnows, darters. Anyone know where I can get more?

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2007 - 02:41 PM

I have some darter spawning video, but I am just the editor of this footage, it really belongs to Farmer Todd and I would not want to distribute it without his permission. Some of this may even be posted on his website...?

Well, I have some, and that hasn't made it to the website yet. I shot it for this very reason.

When do you need it? Maybe we can send him the Conasauga footage Michael? I gotta figure out how to burn more copies of that myself. I have a list of folks to send it along to, just haven't had time to do that.

Thanks for sending a copy to the Snorkelmeister, btw :)

Todd

#4 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2007 - 04:05 PM

I recall some recorded footage of yellowfin shiners spawning that someone had posted not tooooo long ago.

#5 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2007 - 04:54 PM

I also have a TON of material from Dr. Roston that Chris burned for me at ASIH, and a large part of that was filmed in MO. But I'm not really sure how to get ahold of him for permission.

Chris, are you reading this thread?

Todd

#6 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2007 - 07:49 PM

I don't have one but my spotfin shiners spawn fairly often. I don't know if I can catch them in the act but I can get footage of the male nest guarding and displaying. Other then that the only video I have is of my northern longears going through the spawning motions (no eggs were produced but they displayed and circled the nest site) but it's a really dark film.

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:28 PM

I am more than willing to send a modified version with just some of the spawning stuff... just say the word...

Hey is Bill Flowers on here? He sent some small format video (taken by his son (shawn I think ... right) with a snapshot camer set to video mode)... it is mov format I think, but I can convert it and include it as well... If Bill or Shawn say it is OK... it's not exactly spawning behaviour... but it does show a mass of redlip shiners(is that righ) along with Mountain redbelly dace and red side dace (I think... man I can't even remember from two months ago...) all in a spawning school and all fired up in color... I will look at it tonight and make sure I can use it... what-a-ya say Bill?

MWolfe

Well, I have some, and that hasn't made it to the website yet. I shot it for this very reason.

When do you need it? Maybe we can send him the Conasauga footage Michael? I gotta figure out how to burn more copies of that myself. I have a list of folks to send it along to, just haven't had time to do that.

Thanks for sending a copy to the Snorkelmeister, btw :)

Todd

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:31 PM

OK now I am confused... I found the disk but is says it is from Joe Fleckenstein (? if I am reading that right), but I know the video is from Shawn Flowers... I stood beside him while he took it... or I am crazy and I am putting the wrong names with the wrong faces... help me out here.

I am more than willing to send a modified version with just some of the spawning stuff... just say the word...

Hey is Bill Flowers on here? He sent some small format video (taken by his son (shawn I think ... right) with a snapshot camer set to video mode)... it is mov format I think, but I can convert it and include it as well... If Bill or Shawn say it is OK... it's not exactly spawning behaviour... but it does show a mass of redlip shiners(is that righ) along with Mountain redbelly dace and red side dace (I think... man I can't even remember from two months ago...) all in a spawning school and all fired up in color... I will look at it tonight and make sure I can use it... what-a-ya say Bill?

MWolfe

#9 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:39 PM

Joe is their travel companion and good friend. I'm pretty sure Shawn shot the footage.

#10 Guest_bflowers_*

Guest_bflowers_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2007 - 12:24 AM

Joe is their travel companion and good friend. I'm pretty sure Shawn shot the footage.

This is Bill Flowers and if you want to use the video that my son shot for educational purposes you have my(and his permission). I shot some too, but he got the better video. The reason you may have a disk with Joe's name on it is I copied all the video to a disk so he could have a copy. I live in a rural area and only have slow dial-up available. PM me and I can burn you a copy of all the videos and send them to you.

Bill Flowers

#11 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:41 AM

OK centrarchid,

It looks like in a few short days I will have some more video form Bill and I already have Todd's stuff...

So when do you need the video from me... and what format would you like... PM me and we can talk offline about exactly what you need... and if you want to send me what you have already I could put it all on one DVD with menus etc, and make it pretty professional looking. Or if you want just the raw footage in a AVI file or MPEG2 we could do something like that too... it is all up to you, just let me know...

And of course when you PM give me your snail mail address for sending the final version.

Michael

#12 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2007 - 10:54 AM

Thanks for taking care of this Michael!

Todd

#13 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 15 September 2007 - 05:52 PM

Refresh and add a call for other pictures of fish spawning, fish fry, or at least pairs of fish... So far with what we have been able to pull together we have...

Pirate Perch
Darters
Notropis / MRBD

We could use video, or even stills of any others.

I am going to also going to look at photos in the forum for other pictures of spawning, parents, or fry... I seem to remember some spawning gar or some such on the forum...

OK centrarchid,

It looks like in a few short days I will have some more video form Bill and I already have Todd's stuff...

So when do you need the video from me... and what format would you like... PM me and we can talk offline about exactly what you need... and if you want to send me what you have already I could put it all on one DVD with menus etc, and make it pretty professional looking. Or if you want just the raw footage in a AVI file or MPEG2 we could do something like that too... it is all up to you, just let me know...

And of course when you PM give me your snail mail address for sending the final version.

Michael

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users