Sunday With Ohio's Newest Member

19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2007 - 07:21 PM

This will be fairly brief.
But our newest Ohio member jahintze, and I got out on Sunday for a short sampling.
I think I spoiled Joshua by taking him to the Darby.
We saw two state threatened darters, and one state endangered.
fish list without latin:
Gizzard shad
Bluntnose minnow
Streamline chub
Emerald shiner
Rosyface shiner
Silver shiner
Striped shiner
Creek chub
Northern hogsucker
Central stoneroller
Golden redhorse? Juveniles not 100%
Shortnose redhorse? still not 100%
Longear sunfish
Rockbass
Green sunfish
Smallmouth bass
White sucker
Greenside darter
Spotted darter
Tippecanoe darter
Banded darter
Rainbow darter
Bluebreast darter
Variegate darter
Blackside darter
Stonecat madtom

Those are at least the highlights. I am sure I am missing several, and maybe Joshua can add.
I had a good time, but as I said it was a short trip, and rainy as heck. Joshua was not new to collecting at all, but had collected mostly by himself with a dipnet. The seine was a bit new to him, and hopefully it allowed him to see a better diversity than he was used to. He selectively picked out 4 or 5 fish that he would like to keep in a tank. Bad weather and all, I hope we will see more of you around Joshua. Thanks for helping me find those spotted darters!

Matt

#2 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2007 - 08:50 PM

Any madtoms?

Any bigeye chub?

Glad to read these in phylogenetic order. You'll be real glad in the future that you started listing things this way. I'm a total nazi about listing that way, but it makes life so much more simple :)

Now to get you working on those relative abundances in numbers ;)

Good stuff, Matt.

Todd

#3 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2007 - 09:04 PM

Any madtoms?

Any bigeye chub?

Glad to read these in phylogenetic order. You'll be real glad in the future that you started listing things this way. I'm a total nazi about listing that way, but it makes life so much more simple :)

Now to get you working on those relative abundances in numbers ;)

Good stuff, Matt.

Todd

Stonecat. Plenty.
But Todd, if I start taking count, I will kill hundreds of fish. By the time I get through a net full of Roseyface, Emerald, Silver, etc shiners, I will feel bad. I really need work on these. I can pick them out, but not quick enough yet, to count in numbers without alot of loss.

#4 Guest_jahintze_*

Guest_jahintze_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2007 - 10:09 PM

I certainly do feel spoiled after that trip. It was a lot of fun, even with the rain. A lot easier than ambushing a single fish with a dip net. The darters I kept are all doing well in the aquarium. The largest variegate darter in particular is showing off some very brilliant oranges, greens, and blues. Your list, with the stonecats you mentioned later, seems good to my memory. There were also a few shad. Gizzard shad Dorosoma cepedianum perhaps. Or at least that would have been my guess in wisconsin. Not sure if they are also here in Ohio. I should pick up a copy of Fishes of Ohio. I used its Wisconsin equivalent frequently. Fishes of Wisconsin, just to note it for anyone interested who hasnt already found it, is viewable for free in its entirety on-line at

http://www.seagrant....ish/becker.html

You have to download a small (again free) plug-in to view it. But it is a handy reference. The downside is that it is not portable.

#5 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2007 - 11:21 PM

No northern madtom, huh. Man it makes me sick to think how many were in that stream prior to that pulse 3 years ago.

I've been there, we've all been there. It takes a ton of effort to learn Notropis, and even then, each year's start, you'll probably question yourself if you haven't looked at them for 6 months. Thats why I try to keep them in tanks :)

Don't trouble yourself with the details, it's not exact. And it's not critically important especially when they're all in the same trophic guild like these mentioned species. If you get a mess of them, you say "abundant with 5 verified of each, dominated by silver shiner". If you get like "50 or more" say that.

What's really important are the species where you get 10 or less individuals.

This is really gray data. You're not publishing this anywhere. But that's no reason to not have a little more qualitative information, and you don't need to kill fish to do it (look at it in terms of guilds). Having notebooks or spreadsheets of this type of information next to the account of the species is what leads to informed questions that can be tested. Too often, scientists go into the field with an assumption or expectation, and their work is crap because it's so heavily biased (and this leaks into the literature and it's annoying because it's the blind leading the naked). How'd you like to be a better scientist than the professionals? :)

Todd

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 03:54 PM

IThere were also a few shad. Gizzard shad Dorosoma cepedianum perhaps. Or at least that would have been my guess in wisconsin. Not sure if they are also here in Ohio. I should pick up a copy of Fishes of Ohio.

Yep, they were Gizzard shad. I had also forgotten the blackside darter. Added both.

#7 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:29 PM

and that would be smallmouth redhorse, or ohio shorthead. I'm not too sure what a shortnose is, maybe you found a new species! :D

#8 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:41 PM

Do you want me to beat you Brian? Yes of course you are correct.

#9 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:49 PM

and that would be smallmouth redhorse, or ohio shorthead. I'm not too sure what a shortnose is, maybe you found a new species! :D

Hey! M'man put 'em in phylogenetic order, which I've never seen YOU do, buddy. Back off! :)

Gotta smack these young fellers back into their place now and again. They get all cocky if you don't lol ;)

Todd

#10 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:57 PM

You guys know that I am a rookie. I am a good rookie, but still a rookie. I am so excited to learn from the two of you!

#11 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:12 PM

I am good at identification but I would never claim to be good at organization, your lucky if I put all of the species from the same family together.

#12 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:16 PM

I know. It's a pain in the butt to read! ;)

You know I'm just horsin' with you, though, I hope :)

And if I could type my smart comment again, it'd read "young fellers". In fact, I may just edit it.

#13 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2007 - 10:31 PM

ya ya I know I'm the youngest amongst those rambling along in this thread (but I bet I can id lil silveries faster than all you old fogies), I'll be 25 in Dec thats gotta count for something! And yes of course I know your just kidding, thats half the fun of this forum, all the joking around with friends.

#14 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:42 PM

Yes, you can ID the silveries faster than I at least. But calling us fogies? I think Todd and I are going to have to put a good old fashioned whooping on you.

#15 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:03 PM

Yes, you can ID the silveries faster than I at least. But calling us fogies? I think Todd and I are going to have to put a good old fashioned whooping on you.

Let me know when your going to to this. I think it would be fun to watch a good ole whooping. But when old guys try to do this they have to do it quick because those young farts might be able to dance around and wear you old guys out. Then you might be in trouble. :lol:

#16 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:52 PM

Oh my this is just hillarious... The poor new guy this topic was started about/for is gonna think were all nuts! but then again maybe we are!

#17 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2007 - 06:00 AM

When I was first dating Erika, we were on our first road trip. We stopped at a rest area for a potty break. There was a creek of sorts running down the hill, so of course, I had to investigate. She humored me, but on the way back up the hill, she was showing a bit of amazement that I HAD to check out the creek behind the rest area, as stongly as the biological need to have stopped at the rest area in the first place. I turned to her and said:

"OK. I'm COMPLETELY insane. If there was any question, I hope this illustrates this, and you're not rationalizing my behavior. Now what am I?"

"You're completely insane."

"Okay, good. Now I've heard you say it, so I don't have to worry that I didn't let you know."

:)

#18 Guest_seanmc_*

Guest_seanmc_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2007 - 10:46 PM

I have to say that I am quite jealous. I looked at that list and my jaw dropped open. All that in a few hours?

I've just caught the "native bug" and discovered that Ontario has a quite large selection of interesting fish. That said, I've lived here all my life and never seen most of them.

Our "collecting" is limited to a single minnow trap and/or dip net (I use a trap or sometimes a small aquarium hand net in small ponds, and I'm not even sure if that is legal).

"Resident" anglers are prohibited from using a seine. I presume that means that non-residents are allowed to use one? Why would that be? I'll have to invite some of you guys to come up with your seine and help me out!

So far we've caught some Brook Stickleback, Creek Chub, and one each of an unidentified Darter and possibly a Shiner. (All these were under 1", except the Creek Chub).

Hope to be able to grow out the Stickleback and induce them to spawn (if possible), I'd love to see them build a nest!

Cheers - Sean

#19 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2007 - 04:31 PM

I have to say that I am quite jealous. I looked at that list and my jaw dropped open. All that in a few hours?

It's all skill! :grin:

#20 Guest_jahintze_*

Guest_jahintze_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2007 - 09:09 PM

Oh my this is just hillarious... The poor new guy this topic was started about/for is gonna think were all nuts! but then again maybe we are!

Not to worry. I am quite at home with crazy. After years of being soaked to the bone chasing tiny fish you cant help being a little crazy.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users