Water Softener

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2007 - 10:10 AM

I recently moved off of Syracuse city water (which is by the way piped directly from Skaneatles Lake with NO physical filtering or treatment, just only chlorinated) to a new house with well water. I have been taking water for my tanks from the outside hose spigots, which bypass the water softener, but am realizing I cannot do this in the winter because they will be turned off.

Will the water softener negatively affect the water qualilty and harm the fish?

#2 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

Guest_troutperch beeman_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2007 - 10:56 AM

I'm not exactly sure way but I know it is not recommended.
Herschel

#3 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2007 - 10:59 AM

I have similar questions, but no answers right now. Softened water will be high in sodium (how high?). My wife claims that our softened water "tastes salty".

Also, surely your softener has a bypass valve?

Our well has a lot of iron, so what's best:
- high iron and very hard well water
- softened water (high sodium)
- get a DI or RO unit.

#4 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:09 AM

Also, surely your softener has a bypass valve?

It does have a pretty involved piping network and bypass system, very well set-up too. HOWEVER, as old valves will do, not all close or reopen following closure. I have many, many more pressing projects than sweating copper and replacing fittings right now so long story short, I don't want to fudge with the plumbing unless I absolutely have to There is a hose outlet right after the well pump that has a relatively newer valve, so I guess I could throw a hose on that and fill up with straight well water. I'll have to warm it up for the trropicals at least.

#5 Guest_wolfie8000_*

Guest_wolfie8000_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:15 AM

I run softened water to my tanks with no seen problems for about 3 years. My softener does have a bypass but the only problem with that is with your hot water tank which is full of softened water. If you don't want to use the softened water just bypass it the day before you are going to do your water changes, that way your hot water tank will be emptied of the softened water.

Most water softners should have a bypass on the softener and a bypass that is plumbed into the water lines, also with my softner you can change the softness setting higher or lower depending on your needs which might get rid of you salty taste.

#6 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2007 - 12:58 PM

I would go out and buy a low cost hydrometer for testing aquarium water. I use "Instant Ocean" (I purchased for under $10 as I recall). This should give you an idea on where to start. Let us know what your readings are and many folks here will give you their thoughts.

#7 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:44 PM

I have used well water that goes through a softner ever since I started keeping fish and have never had any problems (that I know of ) that were caused by that. I would think if anything it would be better to use the softened water than straight well water because the salt helps remove other metals from the water and salt usually helps the fishes slime coat. If I add salt to my aquariums I actually just take some pellets out of the softner and toss them in the tank.

#8 Guest_seanmc_*

Guest_seanmc_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2007 - 09:33 AM

You can also get water-softener salt that is Potassium Chloride instead of Sodium Chloride. Would Potassium be better than Sodium in the tank? Potassium is at least a nutrient for plants is it not?

- Sean

#9 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2007 - 12:29 PM

I've been considering a RO/DI unit. The ones I see on eBay are about 1/2 the price of the ones I see on pet supply websites - I wonder if the eBay ones are crap.

Alternatively I could buy/construct a water aging cistern, which would not remove metals but make my water changes safer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users