9/15/2007 Ne Ohio Trip

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:20 AM

The trip was great, the weather was nice, and we found most of our quarry, best of all we discovered Grass Pickerel!

Rough list of what we caught:

Blacknosed Dace
Numerous shiners
Mottled Sculpin
Rockbass
Bluegill
Northern Longear
White Sucker
Northern Hogsucker
Johnny Darters
Greenside Darters
Rainbow Darters
Smallmouth Bass

Thats all I can remember, I'm sure Ed may be able to add a couple.

Now, some photos

The new pike
misc_064.jpg

What are these? Grand River Watershed NE Ohio.
misc_053.jpg
misc_054.jpg

#2 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:45 AM

The trip was great, the weather was nice, and we found most of our quarry, best of all we discovered Grass Pickerel!

What are these? Grand River Watershed NE Ohio.

These look like red side dace. Did you get these in the main stem or one of the tribs? I have several red sides in my aquarium and have had them for about 2-3 years. They are nice aquarium fish.

#3 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2007 - 11:29 AM

These look like red side dace. Did you get these in the main stem or one of the tribs? I have several red sides in my aquarium and have had them for about 2-3 years. They are nice aquarium fish.

One of the tribs, they were found with blacknosed dace, white suckers, and misc. shiners, hopefully Ed, will get good photos of the blacknosed dace, they were exquisite. We found a spot that contains pickerel, It's exactly what Nate Tessler described as good pickerel habitat. Still looking for Troutperch, mudminnows.

ED, Post some photos!!!

#4 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2007 - 11:37 AM

hopefully Ed, will get good photos of the blacknosed dace, they were exquisite.
ED, Post some photos!!!

You will need to go back to the same spot in early May. This is when the colors in the red side and redbellied dace are briliant. I have never though of the colors in blackside as exquisite, but I have always compared them to the colors in red sides and redbellied dace. I am looking forward to Eds pictures.

#5 Guest_uniseine_*

Guest_uniseine_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2007 - 12:07 PM

March / April Mudminnows

In Detroit, we look for Mudminnows in March / early April. The site has old grass hanging from the bank into the moving stream. Find Mudminnows by setting the net and stomping the grass. Many are in great spawning condition.

#6 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2007 - 05:26 PM

I now have a secret pickerel spot :) We were only in the water about 1 minute before we saw 3 pickerel dart across to the other bank in some vegetation.

We got one, but we will return in the spring when they should be more plentiful. Plenty of small bluegill, shiners, and tadpoles for them. Also scouted some potential mudminnow habitat.

Ed must be sleeping in today he probably got home around midnight.

Tom

#7 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2007 - 09:44 PM

Ed must be sleeping in today he probably got home around midnight.

Well, there was some unexpected late night work going on on the PA Turnpike, an unexpected two-mile traffic jam one exit before my own. I got home later than expected, maybe 11:45. Just the same, no, I've been very busy today. I just checked the forum now, and won't have time to snap a few photos until tomorrow after work. I had a wonderful time, and excellent company. The highlight for me was finding the grass pickerel. It looks great in Tom's tank. Beautiful fish. You're gonna love it, Tom. I can't wait until next time. Meet me in Meadville in a few weeks...

#8 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2007 - 10:00 PM

Do you mind giving a location for the mainstem where I would assume you got the N. Longears? They are some what of a rareity in that part of the state.

#9 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:57 PM

Do you mind giving a location for the mainstem where I would assume you got the N. Longears? They are some what of a rareity in that part of the state.

PM me and I'll let you know exactly where we found the longear. Ed, post a photo of the longear when you can thanks.

#10 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2007 - 07:54 PM

Sorry, Tom, I've been really busy with my new job. I've had a couple of deadlines to meet, and I haven't been back to the forum until today. I did get in the water recently, though:
http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=2795

You can add blackside darter, creek chub, and green sunfish to your list. Let's change the northern longear to a maybe - some of those juveniles I think were longears, but they were so small, it's hard to tell.

That sunfish that was found in the tire in the muddy water at dusk - my mistake, not a longear - it was a green sunfish.

Hopefully we can get together again soon, and explore some more watersheds in NE OH and NW PA.

#11 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2007 - 08:01 PM

Sorry, Tom, I've been really busy with my new job. I've had a couple of deadlines to meet, and I haven't been back to the forum until today. I did get in the water recently, though:
http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=2795

You can add blackside darter, creek chub, and green sunfish to your list. Let's change the northern longear to a maybe - some of those juveniles I think were longears, but they were so small, it's hard to tell.

That sunfish that was found in the tire in the muddy water at dusk - my mistake, not a longear - it was a green sunfish.

Hopefully we can get together again soon, and explore some more watersheds in NE OH and NW PA.

Glad to see you're back around. I keep checking out where we found the pike, and there are tons in there, just gotta get iin there and get some! The one we got has put on an inch and is as fat as can be, the other one has grown too. They like fathead minnows.

Tom

#12 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:49 PM

That is a nice looking pike. It is good to know that grass pike are located in north-eastern Ohio. I would have never thought that. Very nice pics...keep up with the excellent field intel.

I can understand why you want to keep that spot secret. It took me a while to find a few grass pike spots here where I live.

M.

#13 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2007 - 01:03 PM

I can understand why you want to keep that spot secret. It took me a while to find a few grass pike spots here where I live.

M.

It's not really a secret. If anyone were to come out sampling with me I'd show them the exact location. It's grand river watershed, roadside ditch, windsor ohio 44099

If anyone wants more info PM me.

Tom

#14 Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*

Guest_esoxandlepomislover_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:01 PM

It's not really a secret. If anyone were to come out sampling with me I'd show them the exact location. It's grand river watershed, roadside ditch, windsor ohio 44099

If anyone wants more info PM me.

Tom

Tom,

That is a very gracious offer. I may take you up on that. Mishmosh is your neighbor, and he should definitely take you up on that offer.

M.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users