Native Fishes In The Paper...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2007 - 08:27 PM

http://www.toledobla...=73293976581119

The bad news was... We found round goby for the first time at Secor Road. Makes for some interesting science though, esp since we're going to remove the dam 100 feet upstream. We'll see how the darters fare. Johnny darter are probably the thing to watch and it's my guess that they'll make it as far as the stream is ripped up, but won't be able to progress once it stabilizes upstream in Wildwood MP. It's been demonstrated in other systems that logperch and blackside darter do okay with them. These are similar, extremely disturbed urban systems as well.

I was, however, hoping she'd point out that the steelhead were exotics too ;) I think that whole conversation went right over her head and she just decided not to talk about it at all. Thank goodness she didn't just put a pic of a round goby in there. Maybe the whole process of dumping them into ethanol grossed her out enough that she didn't want to think about it any more lol.

Todd

#2 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:34 PM

not to be rude but the story says the pic is a bluntnose minnow if it is they look alot more like darters than shiners

#3 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:56 PM

It's because it's a logperch that is pictured and the article caption is incorrect. Kinda typical especially since reporters are often really willing to come out and get the information and report it, they just don't want you edit or review it and stuff like that happens.

#4 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:02 PM

Yeah, she got the part about "the logperch using its nose to flip rocks" and "bluntnose minnow" mixed up, I think. I didn't notice it until after I posted, and didn't think it was worth another post unless someone brought it up.

Todd

#5 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:44 PM

It's great that you can get the media involved in what you're doing over there at UT. Do you know someone at the Blade?

#6 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2007 - 09:27 PM

No, this just kinda happened out of left field. I agreed to do the "walk", knowing it would be poorly attended, but there was a two to one journalist to student ratio there lol (not including Anna, who wanted a retraction from the Blade, since she already knew how to sample fish! :) ). I guess today we're in the UT News.

Got a love letter from the IACUC guy though. Apparently the MUO addition to the University Cache is a leeeeetle bit more uptight about doing any "research" on animals. We do the most non-lethal sampling of fishes in the world because we're good with seines and actually think about what we're doing, and this guy has 15 pages of forms for us to fill out for showing a kid and a freshman how fish were caught in PAST research, that none of us did, and that was already signed off on by the Grad School.

God bless academic beauracrats for missing the point, entirely. This kind of crap makes me want to do mussels entirely, since they, like, don't, um, count as "animals". <sigh>

Todd

#7 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2007 - 10:03 PM

Got a love letter from the IACUC guy though. Apparently the MUO addition to the University Cache is a leeeeetle bit more uptight about doing any "research" on animals. We do the most non-lethal sampling of fishes in the world because we're good with seines and actually think about what we're doing, and this guy has 15 pages of forms for us to fill out for showing a kid and a freshman how fish were caught in PAST research, that none of us did, and that was already signed off on by the Grad School.

I know the pains of the IACUC all too well. At Bowling Green, the committee meets once a month. So, they only review it at that meeting, any little change they recommend comes back to you, then you resubmit it the next month. Took me 6 months to get a project through and one of the board members helped me put the project together...no thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users