Id These Suckers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:45 PM

I thot I had all white suckers, but then I finally got some ok pics and noticed the scale size and dorsal fin is different. the tail of the 1st one was like that when we collected him.

Posted Image

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to add, these are from a clear water stream in Kansas, Wabaunsee County. They are currently 3-4 inches long.

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:32 AM

Your top picture is a redhorse species....very nice falcate dorsal fin.

#3 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:58 AM

The bottom one is a White Sucker. The top one is probably a Golden Redhorse. A scale count would give you a better idea of whether the top fish is a Golden Redhorse or a Black Redhorse. Very similar fish.

#4 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2007 - 10:48 AM

Thanks for the ID's. A friend had suggested redhorse, but I always come here for confirmation. I counted 42, so Golden Redhorse it is.

They are so hard to get clear pics of as they seem to stay right in the middle of the tank, away from the glass.

#5 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:24 PM

The bottom one is a White Sucker. The top one is probably a Golden Redhorse. A scale count would give you a better idea of whether the top fish is a Golden Redhorse or a Black Redhorse. Very similar fish.

Nate, are you sure that's a white sucker?? The head looks a little elongated to be a white sucker. But I am not sure :-k . Where is Brian Z?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users