Any One Kept Giant Fairy Shrimp In Aquarium?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 16 July 2018 - 08:43 PM

Has anyone since this thread appeared found a source for Giant Fairy Shrimp (Branchinecta Gigas) eggs?  Arizonafairyshrimp.com is currently out of stock.  Out of curiosity, are they edible?  I see that ducks and shorebirds like them.  Thanks.

Somewhere many moons ago i read that native americans ate them. Around here I've found fairy shrimp in an old aquarium i put outside empty, over a few weeks of rainy weather it filled up and I was getting ready to drain it and noticed something swimming around. Fairy shrimp had evidently been carried by the rain! I've never seen any quite like them, they were fast and difficult to catch. All the others I've seen in vernal pools were slow and easy to catch. That was 8 years ago, hasn't happened since... 

Michael

Life is the poetry of the universe
Love is the poetry of life

#22 MinecraftRPG12v1

MinecraftRPG12v1
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 25 December 2019 - 11:40 AM

Now THAT is one cool critter! Being carnivores, do they eat anything that could be cultured more easily than other fairy shrimp? Would they catch brine shrimp before they died?

Brine shrimp are a saltwater species that can survive freshwater for a couple weeks before it kills them,  Fiddler Crabs are the same way, they require salt/brackish water depending on th species, they'll die after a few weeks in freshwater as well. 

#23 MinecraftRPG12v1

MinecraftRPG12v1
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 25 December 2019 - 11:53 AM

Now THAT is one cool critter! Being carnivores, do they eat anything that could be cultured more easily than other fairy shrimp? Would they catch brine shrimp before they died?

Brine shrimp are a saltwater species that can survive freshwater for a couple weeks before it kills them,  Fiddler Crabs are the same way, they require salt/brackish water depending on th species, they'll die after a few weeks in freshwater as well. 

fairy shrimp eat other fairy shrimp of both the same species and other species. also triops eat about 500+ fairy shrimp a week. Also, even though most salt and brackish critters can eat most freshwater ones, freshwater inverts SHOULD NOT be given saltwater fish or inverts to eat. freshwater fish can have brine shrimp, but not saltwater fish to eat. (shrimp, crayfish, lobsters, urchins, crabs, and sea stars are examples of inverts).

#24 PBK

PBK
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 27 November 2020 - 12:37 AM

Fairy shrimp in a northern Ohio pool I located had black mosquito larvae in it. Perhaps the fairy shrimp ate them. I tried to keep the shrimp in an aquarium but they would bury themselves under things and die after a few days. I believe if theyre kept in ice cold water they would live a little longer but no more than a month or so. Daphnia might be a good food for them.

Edited by PBK, 27 November 2020 - 12:49 AM.

#25 PBK

PBK
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 27 November 2020 - 12:47 AM

Don’t eat any uncooked crayfish, shrimps, crabs (saltwater or fresh water) or you’ll risk ingesting a harmful parasite with them.

#26 villier

villier
  • NANFA Guest
  • Porto

Posted 07 December 2020 - 04:23 PM

That's one huge shrimp. Definitely want to hear more if anyone is keeping them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users