Repelling Mosquitos

19 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2007 - 11:38 AM

Ok, so I was outside one day after putting on 3 layers of 30% deet repelent. It didn't work too well. I came and my grandparents almost freaked when they saw the 80 or so mosquito bites I had. Then my grandmother was like, try putting a dryer sheet in your pocket. The funny thing is... IT WORKED. They stayed like 3 feet away. I have no idea why. I just thought some of you might want to know for collecting trips, so you don't have to spray that repulsive repelent on everytime you go collecting. Just grab a dryer sheet!

#2 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:08 PM

Oh sure! Now that it is October, you come up with a mosquito repelling tip. I will forget this by next summer. (I guess your Georgia mosquito season is a bit longer than Wisconsin.)

#3 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:44 PM

Being one that works in Mosquito infested areas often and very sensitive to DEET (I can't use the stuff without breaking out in a major rash worse than getting bitten) I have found a few ways to deal with them. One is just avoid fragrant soaps or any soaps period..Better yet just go stinky... The other is elderberry leaves. You can rub these leaves on exposed areas and mosquitoes will avoid it. Eating foods high in Lemongrass also seems to help in the summer months..Don't ask me how... It just does. Southeast asians have done this for centuries and it really seems to work.

#4 Guest_diburning_*

Guest_diburning_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:58 PM

they also don't like onion oils. you can rub onion juice on yourself or eat a lot of onions. They seem to be able to "smell" your blood for onions and won't bite.

#5 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:02 PM

My preferred repellant is based on eucalyptus and lemongrass. It doesn't last as long as deet but it also won't make your skin break out (not mine, anyway)

#6 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:10 PM

My preferred repellant is based on eucalyptus and lemongrass. It doesn't last as long as deet but it also won't make your skin break out (not mine, anyway)

whats the name of it?

Tom

#7 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:14 PM

they also don't like onion oils. you can rub onion juice on yourself or eat a lot of onions. They seem to be able to "smell" your blood for onions and won't bite.

I like to sit next to my wife on the couch after a day in the field, so I think I'll pass on this one :biggrin:

#8 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:18 PM

whats the name of it?

Posted Image

#9 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:14 PM

Posted Image

I'll have to get some, I'm allergic to DEET so I normally go without. But that stuff looks great!

#10 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:16 PM

the label says six hours, but the reality is 3 or 4. Otherwise it's good stuff.

#11 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:30 PM

the label says six hours, but the reality is 3 or 4. Otherwise it's good stuff.

I'd reapply every hour as long as it works and it doesnt cause rashes or other reactions

#12 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:27 PM

Just let 'em bite. The amount of blood they take is minimal, and mosquitos gotta eat, same as people.

#13 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:33 PM

Just let 'em bite. The amount of blood they take is minimal, and mosquitoes gotta eat, same as people.

Yes! Then they lay eggs in the water and grow larvae, creating fodder for our native fish. It is our duty as NANFA members to allow skeeters to bite!

#14 Guest_diburning_*

Guest_diburning_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:39 AM

Yes! Then they lay eggs in the water and grow larvae, creating fodder for our native fish. It is our duty as NANFA members to allow skeeters to bite!

They don't have to bite us!! Bite the neighbor's annoying dog!

#15 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

They don't have to bite us!! Bite the neighbor's annoying dog!

I stopped wearing DEET when i was wearing green rain gear one year and the Ben's 100 melted the plastic. That's just not right. Correct me if 'm wrong, but I think only the female mosquitos suck blood. Women are always bleeding me!

#16 Guest_andyavram_*

Guest_andyavram_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:48 PM

You're right only the female mosquitos bite.

As for any insect repellant be careful where you apply and what you hold. (Stop thinking of a witty follow-up to that last line and pay attention). If you apply it on your hands you can kill some animals by holding them, although I am not sure how sensitive fish are to it, amphibians really are. I have seen a person hold a baby Chorus Frog that died in a few seconds because she had insect repellant on her hands. Darn those porous skins.

Andy

#17 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:43 PM

I stopped wearing DEET when i was wearing green rain gear one year and the Ben's 100 melted the plastic.

There is a new mosquito-repelling chemical on the market called picaridin. There are Off and Cutter versions of it (Cutter Advanced, I think). It does not dissolve plastics like DEET does. That said, I have found it to be not quite as effective in areas with very high populations. But I use it often, as it doesn't have that greasy feel or awful smell (actually, it smells like corn chips to me). It is the only thing I will use when fly fishing to avoid rotting my line.

#18 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:00 PM

Some home-made repellants I've heard of, but not tried: crushed buckberry or beautyberry leaves, rubbed on the skin or placed under clothing (old-timers apparently used this on horses moreso than on themselves), and peppermint oil mixed with rubbing alcohol, applied to clothing with a spray bottle.

#19 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:15 PM

I am pretty sure that lots of alcohol, and nicotine help. So you guys might want to take up smoking, and drinking. I suppose hard liqour will work better than beer or wine. Also if you already smoke, and it is not working for you, you might want to pitch those "lights" in the garbage, and head for the full flavor. :twisted:

Really though, I have few problems with them, I attribute it to garlic. I dump garlic on almost every meal. I have never used a repellant at all until I visited Illinois swamp country. Uland was spraying the stuff like crazy, I was saying "who needs that." Shortly thereafter, I was begging him for some juice. They were bad! Little buggers must have been shape shifters, because they found a way into the tent through the no see um screen.

#20 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2008 - 07:28 PM

:laugh:

I remember collecting frogs on a Mississippi River island between Tennessee and Arkansas one fine spring night- I could run my hand down my arm and leave a black-and-red smear all the way down from crushed skeeters. The secret is to have someone with you who is more appealing to the mosquitos than you are!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users