A Little Detroit River Fun

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:25 PM

Went out today on the Detroit river at Belle isle with my wife just to play around..
Not a lot of fish activity and not many species where obtained.

Techniques ranged from Rock flipping, dipnetting weed beds, to seining. Total sample time was 2.5 hours,
Target species was the Mudpuppy Necterus maculosus none where obtained.

Weather was great. Water clarity was hit or miss depending on area sampled.

Species sampled:
Longnosed gar Lepisosteus osseus
Alewife Alosa pseudoharengus
Great lakes Muskellunge Esox masquinongy (Seen not caught)
Mimic or sand shiner
Spot tail shiner Notropis hudsonius
Common carp Cyprinus carpio
Banded Killifish Fundulus diaphanus menona
Smallmouth bass Micropterus dolomieu
Rock bass Ambloplites rupestris
Round goby (dominated the catch with over 30 individual fish)
Tubenosed goby (Second most common with 15 caught..Second largest sampling I have had for this species in the river)

#2 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:59 PM

I have never heard of tubenosed goby, are these another non-native invasive?

#3 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2007 - 07:31 PM

Yeah, the tubenose is another non-native.

Sounds like a nice trip, shame you got more non-natives then actual natives.

#4 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2007 - 08:12 PM

Yeah, the tubenose is another non-native.

Sounds like a nice trip, shame you got more non-natives then actual natives.

It is what happens around here Sandtiger... we have been ground zero for quite a few exotics...
I always expect lots of Round goby and an alewife, carp or four but it was interesting this time in just how many Tubenosed where around...

They have never been this common in such varied age groups. Usually you get a few here and there but nothing like one every other seine or net haul.

Water level is lower and aquatic macrophytes are much heavier this year which may have biased the catch as they prefer such habitat. I was disappointed in seeing no logperch and no Least darter despite sampling known locations where I find them often. Usually we get a few Madtoms also but no such luck...

#5 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2007 - 08:59 PM

It is what happens around here Sandtiger... we have been ground zero for quite a few exotics...
I always expect lots of Round goby and an alewife, carp or four but it was interesting this time in just how many Tubenosed where around...

They have never been this common in such varied age groups. Usually you get a few here and there but nothing like one every other seine or net haul.

Water level is lower and aquatic macrophytes are much heavier this year which may have biased the catch as they prefer such habitat. I was disappointed in seeing no logperch and no Least darter despite sampling known locations where I find them often. Usually we get a few Madtoms also but no such luck...

It happens aroud here as well but rather then non-native fish we have zebra mussles and Eurasion milfoil. It's quite sad to look into the waters of Seneca and Cayuga lakes and see a carpet of zebra mussles on every surface, the only plant life being milfoil. The water looks unnaturally clear, I assume the mussles are partly to blame. It's so clear that when fishing or collecting you can pretty much tell if you're gonna find anything just by quickly scanning the shore. If there are fish, you'll likely see them but for the most part there is nothing.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users