New Member - Bloomington, Indiana

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rotifer_*

Guest_rotifer_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2007 - 10:33 PM

Hello All,

Wonderful site, and great discussions, judging from what I've found so far.
Just joined last week. Originally from Michigan, but have lived in southcentral Indiana for about
20 years now.

Particularly interested in killies, but have a fondness for darters and sunfishes as well.

Started in the aquarium hobby as a kid, and would breed fish and trade the fry for more tanks and
equipment (what else?) at the local fish store. Drove my mother crazy with the 20 or so tanks in the
spare room, plus the tubifex in the fridge....

Once I started snokeling in local Michigan lakes, my interest in exotics (african cichlids at the time) evaporated, and
I was hooked on local pumpkinseeds, shiners, and darters.

Have collected a bit here near Bton; blackstripe killies, orangespotted sunfish, and the northernmost range of
Fundulus catenatus (northern studfish).

Keeping some F. escambiae at present, in a small outdoor pond (I bring them inside in the winter).
Very fond of F. dispar, as well.

Have a similar interest in native water plants, so the tanks are as close to a native biotrope as I can make them.

Cheers,

Dave Rollo
(aka: rotifer)
Bloomington, Indiana

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2007 - 11:19 PM

Welcome to the site. The Mid-west region seems to be the most active region on this board. If you are looking to broaden your fish horizon, you've come to the right place. Again, welcome.

#3 Guest_bflowers_*

Guest_bflowers_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:12 AM

Welcome to NANFA. I live north of you near Martinsville, IN. Need to hook up somtime. So you have Catenatus down there. We have several creeks near Greenwood, IN that we find Cantenatus in.

Bill F.

#4 Guest_rotifer_*

Guest_rotifer_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:39 PM

Thanks, Drewish.

And, yes, Bill - we should get together sometime. The catenatus are in BeanBlossum creek, near BeanBlossum.
Wow! So, you've found them near Greenwood! That's great.

The blackstripes are in Yellowood, Lake, in Brown County.
And the orangespotted are in Griffey Lake, just on the northside of Btown, here.

Best,
Dave

#5 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:26 PM

Hello All,
Wonderful site, and great discussions, judging from what I've found so far.
Just joined last week. Originally from Michigan, but have lived in southcentral Indiana for about
20 years now.
Cheers,

Dave Rollo
(aka: rotifer)
Bloomington, Indiana

Hi Dave,
I'm also a new NANFA member. I am also formerly a Hoosier, being born in Columbus IN and went to college at IU (stayed there from 82 - 91) then moved here to Cincinnati. I travel back to B-town occasionally. I've even tried some collecting on Kent road off of 46 west of town. The Stillwater Marsh is there; a backwater of Lake Monroe. If you're lucky, you may even spot a Bald Eagle there. I need to try my luck up by Lake Lemmon, or some creeks up in the Hoosier National Forest (Salt Creek???) If I come back to Bloomington maybe we can grab the nets and go hunting! Anyway, Welcome to NANFA!
-Thom

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users