Buffalo River

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2007 - 01:34 PM

Just got back yesterday.
The Buffalo wasn't how I'd expected it and was far different from the large gravel bar and pool configuration I'm used to. It had extremely long shallow narrow runs followed by huge unwadeable pools with bedrock flats and chunk flagstone(?) that was hard to walk on. Neat and amazingly beautiful place but wasn't designed for how we were fishing. I wish I could have sampled the entire weekend but we only seined two small areas. I'm bringing a dipnet next time :roll: My list isn't long and I only took a couple pictures of what I couldn't id. Everything was new to me so I feel I accomplished quite a bit.
Here's what I got on the main river at the 240 bridge and iron forge off the Natchez Trace Parkway. Next time I'm going to hit the small feeder creeks with a dipnet. There were tons of colorful things swimming in them.

Longear Sunfish
Largemouth Bass
Smallmouth Bass
Rock Bass
Bluegill
Green Sunfish
Johnny Darter
Redline Darter
Blenny Darter
Northern Hogsucker
Northern Studfish
Banded Sculpin
Golden Snubnose Darter? (no picture for +id)
Greenside Darter (edit)
I got a some small redhorse of some specie, a bunch of striped shiners and a handful of identified silver fish and a small water moccasin.

I kick seined a real small fast shoot and got this huge darter of some sort and a sculpin. I had no clue I was in sculpin country :) I brought him home.
There were several species of crayfish as well - I've never seen any colored like that before either.

Attached Images

• unknown1.jpg
  • sculpin.jpg
  • crawfish.jpg

#2 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:49 PM

Mmmm, the Buffalo. Man, you're making me homesick.

"Huge darter" is a greenside (newmani look a little different than the Illinois version, eh?) and the sculpin is indeed a banded.

Sounds like a fun trip, hope you can get back there and explore a little more. It's really an amazing place.

cheers,
Dave

#3 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2007 - 08:26 PM

I've never seen a greenside before, and it was 5 inches long!
Do they readily get that big?

#4 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2007 - 09:50 PM

Nice fish!

I would love to go sampling up there some time

#5 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:46 PM

I've never seen a greenside before, and it was 5 inches long!
Do they readily get that big?

They can get a little bigger than that. One of the big darters, along with logperch and tangerines.

#6 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:15 PM

My daughters, wife and i were just wading in the Little Buffalo just off the Natchez Trace at Metal Ford on October 10th. Lots of nice fish in that greenish water but several streams nearby are cystal clear for snorkeling. Nonetheless you were in a wonderful area.
You only seined 2 small areas but you got to see a Blenny Darter... thats pretty cool by my standards.
Im not sure exactly where you were but Metal Ford is an old iron works forge site that is just a mile off of the Trace. Plenty of wading, riffles and pools available for seining. The water is way down so this does not sound like where you were. Maybe you were somewhere off of Metal Ford Road which is different.
Casper

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users