Sunfish Id Needed

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nativecollector_*

Guest_nativecollector_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:29 AM

This fish was cought with two bluespots, at first I though it was another bluespot but after further review I dont think that it is.
So a little help with the id

The tank was just cleaned and has not settled back down yet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:42 AM

Looks like a banded sunfish, Enneacanthus obesus

#3 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:20 AM

It's a female or washed out male bluespot.

#4 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:32 AM

how big is it?

it looks similar to a bluespot, i have never seen a blackbanded first hand

#5 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:01 AM

Well, we've been through this before with my fish : http://forum.nanfa.o...p?showtopic=265

It turned out to be a bluespotted, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is a bluespotted.

My bandeds are tiny so I've never seen an adult one in person.

#6 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:11 AM

I think it might be a female bluespotted. Definately doesn't look like any bandeds I have seen.

#7 Guest_nativecollector_*

Guest_nativecollector_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:50 AM

That one is about 1.5 to 2 inches long.
It would tickle me pink if it is a female bluespot.
I have one known male bluespot and one known female bluespot.
If that one is a female then I should be set to have a pair at some point.

What temp to they need to be droped down to for winter time in order to get them to spawn in the spring.

Right now they are kept in the house at about 70 degrees F. There is two mudminnows in the tank with the three sunfish. They are only in a 10 gallon and the male is somewhere around 3 inches maybe a little bigger but not much.

I will start looking for more info on spawning them later today but if anyone feels like responding with some that would be great as well.

Thanks for the id.

BTW, I dont think we have banded sunfish in this watershed, but I would have to look again to see.

#8 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:55 AM

Merchant Mills Pond State Park, a bit north of Tyner, is supposed to have all 3 Enneacanthus species.

I was told I'd need a scientific collectors permit to be able to net in the State park.

#9 Guest_nativecollector_*

Guest_nativecollector_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:23 PM

Yeah, I dont think you can collect in state parks without a special permit, that includes anything contained in a state park, ie rocks, trees, leaves, fish, or any animal.

BUT (<-- I like this part)
that does not pretain to the tributaries that are not part of the state park itself. Most of the time they contain the same species as the park.

I got these little guys our of the prequimens river, a little ways upriver from where it starts to widen out.

#10 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:02 PM

I just caught a whole bunch of bluespots and they are all young (~1-1.5 inch) and they all look more or less like that. Some are have much redder fins and distinct spots, but all have the same look. There are 18 of them so I would say that is a good reference group!

8 are heading south to "Killier" in SC and the rest will go into my pond in the spring, I'll save the prettiest ones that pair off for the living room tank though.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users