Stream Tank

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BassNut144_*

Guest_BassNut144_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:35 PM

Well...I have decided to turn my 55 gallon into a stream tank, and I was just looking for opinions as far as how I should set it up, what I will need, and finally what fish I should put in, I would like to have somewhat of a community tank if possible so let me know,..Also, Do you guys think it would hurt if I put some crayfish in my new 125(the one that I have been pestering everyone about), I think they would aestetically add to it and possibly help clean up the bottom, also be a n emergancy back up food source for my large mouth...thanks again guys....Also if anyone could possibly email me a few pictures of there stream set up and if you have one a set up of a largemouth tank I would greatly appreciate that...Thanks GUys

Tim

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2007 - 01:52 PM

To get you started : http://forum.nanfa.o...p?showtopic=777

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:38 PM

There are a lot of ways that you could have a very nice community tank... but it would not work very well with either crayfish or LMB. Crayfish eventually will attack and eat anything small enough to catch...and since alot of native fish actually sleep at night (and crays don't at least not at night) that includes most of the nicer community fish.

Well...I have decided to turn my 55 gallon into a stream tank, and I was just looking for opinions as far as how I should set it up, what I will need, and finally what fish I should put in, I would like to have somewhat of a community tank if possible so let me know,..Also, Do you guys think it would hurt if I put some crayfish in my new 125(the one that I have been pestering everyone about), I think they would aestetically add to it and possibly help clean up the bottom, also be a n emergancy back up food source for my large mouth...thanks again guys....Also if anyone could possibly email me a few pictures of there stream set up and if you have one a set up of a largemouth tank I would greatly appreciate that...Thanks GUys
Tim

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_roscoe_*

Guest_roscoe_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:31 PM

I had a stream tank set up for a while just to do something different.

I built in a 20 long and used a Magnum 350 for a filter. I set it up with the filter intake on one side and rigged up a spraybar out put that spanned the width of the tank which I put on the other side. Further, I had one or two (can't remember) powerheads on the spraybar end of the aquarium to move the water faster. I also put an air pump driven bubble wand on the rear wall of the aquarium to help increase the dissolved oxygen level in the water.

I landscaped it with rocks and driftwood and stocked it with shiners, and a couple darters. It was nice but I eventually took it down and did something else with the aquarium.

As to the crawfish, I personally do not like them. They are neat when they're small but put one in an aquarium and it'll grow like a weed. They get big, territorial, and destructive. They also try to eat their neighbors. I leave them out whenever I put a native aquarium together.

#5 Guest_BassNut144_*

Guest_BassNut144_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:53 PM

There are a lot of ways that you could have a very nice community tank... but it would not work very well with either crayfish or LMB. Crayfish eventually will attack and eat anything small enough to catch...and since alot of native fish actually sleep at night (and crays don't at least not at night) that includes most of the nicer community fish.

I guess I should have made myself alitle more clear...I didn't mean that I was going to put the LMB and the crayfish in a stream tank...I have a 125 gallon tHat I am puttin the LMB and a Gar and some other sunfish or something native in and that is the tank that I wanted to put crayfish in...I had 2 in my 15 gallon with 2 rainbow Darters and 2 Long Nosed minnows and they got along pretty well, each crayfish had its own little "Cave" (rocks piled on top of each other) and I never had a problem with either one, and the smaller one was even missing a claw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users