Plant Id Please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mshi_*

Guest_mshi_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:42 PM

I have a native fish and plant (Walstad) tank. I recently found these plants near the shore in a local lake (northeast PA). The leaves grow out of and float on the top of the water and I have been searching for local emergent plants and these are the first I have come across. I took some home and put them in the tank. They have some growing to do before they reach the surface. I am looking for an ID and will they be good emergent plants for the aquarium. I apologize for the quality of the photo. If a better photo is needed I will try again. I am refering to the tallest plant. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_mshi_*

Guest_mshi_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:29 PM

I posted at another site and got a reply saying it might be floating pondweed. Any thoughts?

#3 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:57 PM

I have some of that in my pond. I always called it floating pondweed, so maybe it's right?

#4 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:37 PM

It looks like it could be it, but it is difficult to tell from the photograph. If it is "floating pondweed", the correct name is Potamogeton natans.

When taking a photo for ID, it helps to have a good close up of the leaf as well as other parts of the plant, and a tank that isn't as hazy. One of these days I'll put a sticky on here about how to photo for ID.

Nice plant!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)