Nfc Website Down

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:09 AM

Can anyone else get to the NFC website? Did they let it go?

#2 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:36 AM

Can anyone else get to the NFC website? Did they let it go?

I can not access it either.

#3 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:56 PM

Robert probably got tired of funding it. Splinter organisations come and go, but NANFA abides!

#4 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2007 - 02:10 AM

Are the NFC documents still available somewhere?

#5 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:33 AM

Are the NFC documents still available somewhere?

I would have paid for the documents to stay online. I brought this issue up a while back.

#6 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:59 AM

Maybe negotiations between NANFA and NFC are in need again.

#7 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:04 AM

Maybe negotiations between NANFA and NFC are in need again.

I think so.

In http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=2265

Would it be possible to obtain their website and all articles therein so they can be preserved? I would hate to lose the information on that site.
The site would be great if it could be transfered to and run by nanfa. I will volunteer my web programming time and everything if needbe to help transfer information and such.

Tom

The offer still stands.

#8 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:20 AM

You will probably have to talk to Mr Rice about that. I'm not sure who from NANFA had been talking to who from NFC.

#9 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2007 - 11:37 AM

You will probably have to talk to Mr Rice about that. I'm not sure who from NANFA had been talking to who from NFC.

Can I get his contact info? The site is down or I'd get it from there.

#10 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:10 AM

Can I get his contact info? The site is down or I'd get it from there.

robertrice at juno.com

#11 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:14 AM

robertrice@juno.com

Uland Pm'ed it to me thanks, I've been talking to him via email.

Tom

#12 Guest_rarecichlids_*

Guest_rarecichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:26 AM

ditto on the offer to help with the site.. if there is hosting needed I can provide it...i have a hosting company.

#13 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2007 - 11:48 AM

Tom,

If you work something out with Robert, let me know and we can put it up on the NANFA site if he agrees to it. We may have to pass it by the BoD but I don't see them having any problem with it.

#14 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:12 AM

The web site is up now.

I'm running a crawler through it now "just in case".

But as far as their articles are concerned, you'll need to get permission from the copyright owners. It is possible that NFC only had permission to print much of that content, which doesn't convey the right to grant rights to any other third party. Mr. Rice may or may not even have the power to grant what you're looking for.

In any case, if nativefish.org dries up and disappears, I should have a full copy of their web site slurped down by the time y'all read this.

#15 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:32 AM

The web site is up now.

I'm running a crawler through it now "just in case".

But as far as their articles are concerned, you'll need to get permission from the copyright owners. It is possible that NFC only had permission to print much of that content, which doesn't convey the right to grant rights to any other third party. Mr. Rice may or may not even have the power to grant what you're looking for.

In any case, if nativefish.org dries up and disappears, I should have a full copy of their web site slurped down by the time y'all read this.

i made my own copy as well.

#16 Guest_nativefish_*

Guest_nativefish_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:10 PM

i made my own copy as well.

Hello all,

While it is true the NFC has had some problems in the last year or so our Website was never in Jepordy. We have moved forward in many areas and it looks like we will be around for quite a while longer.

We were never in a cash bind we were in inactivity bind which is working itself out.

I appreciate your concerns for our site it is appreciated.

If NANFA board members want to contact the NFC over partnering on a grant or some such thing we are and always have been happy to work together where we have common ground. After all when its all said and done it really is about the fish and their conservation.

Robert Rice
Board Member The Nativefish Conservancy
www.nativefish.org

Edited by nativefish, 29 March 2008 - 02:11 PM.

#17 Guest_nativefish_*

Guest_nativefish_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:55 AM

Robert probably got tired of funding it. Splinter organisations come and go, but NANFA abides!

Mike,

Im trying very hard to be a good guest here, but I want to tell you that is a very rude comment. There are get this just two native fish orgs in all of this country. I have been president of both of them. I try very hard to not stir CHIT. I made a pledge a decade ago +- to never say anything negative in Public about NANFA becuase I believe that the conservation and fish issues out there are so huge and both orgs combined are like two fleas arguing over a st bernard. There is plenty of work to be done so there is no need to fight amongst ourselves. I have kept that pledge inspite of some nonsence like this. I often point readers of my articles to the NANFA website and generally try and be a good neighbor.

When the NFC was at 2000 members I did not come over here and do a touchdown dance, Up Untlil John Bohndus Died we corresponded alot about things and even though we did not always agree on things we remained friends and partners in the conservation cause. John allways felt that my exit from NANFA was a black eye on NANFA.

So for the record the NFC is not a splinter organization, to call us such is an insult. If you would like to have a public discussion on the particulars on why the NFC was formed we could do that . I think it would be (like your comment) very destructive and have no positive gain for conservation and native fish.

So is there even a slim chance we can put this BS to rest and move on ? Arent you a NANFA Board member or a former one . I take your comments more serious as a NANFA official/former official.

Im on a ten plus or minus year no public bad talk about NANFA and would really like to keep it that way until I die. I like NANFA, I Like native Fish , I love Conservation I hate snide little BS digs designed to belittle the only other game in town. Whats your goal? It aint conservation that is for sure.

Robert Rice

#18 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:57 AM

Im trying very hard to be a good guest here, but I want to tell you that is a very rude comment.
[...]
So is there even a slim chance we can put this BS to rest and move on ? Arent you a NANFA Board member or a former one . I take your comments more serious as a NANFA official/former official.

Hi Robert,

Sorry you took offense at Irate's comment. Although I certainly can't speak on his behalf, I really doubt he intended it to be that personally offensive. As far as Irate's official role in NANFA: I always assumed his official role was to be the beloved resident email list and forum troll :twisted: . He tries to ruffle feathers at every opportunity, and we all love him for it. Heck, I'd go so far as to say that you're not a real NANFA member until you've been busted by Irate, and he's told you at least one of your fish is going to die.

Personally, I'd take Irate's comment much, much, MUCH less seriously than that of most other NANFA members, and I certainly wouldn't consider him to be any official mouthpiece of NANFA. Rumor has it there are 3 full-time moderators on this forum assigned exclusively to moderating just Irate -- and they still can't keep up. ;-)

Speaking only as a member with no official role, I'd say that I'd love to see peace, harmony, and unity in the native fish world. I think it'd be great if the community wasn't divided into two parallel groups with similar goals, but it's certainly a lot less "splintered" than most interest groups. There's certainly room for two...

Cheers, Jase

Edited by jase, 02 April 2008 - 07:04 AM.

#19 Guest_nativefish_*

Guest_nativefish_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:22 AM

Hi Robert,

Sorry you took offense at Irate's comment. Although I certainly can't speak on his behalf, I really doubt he intended it to be that personally offensive. As far as Irate's official role in NANFA: I always assumed his official role was to be the beloved resident email list and forum troll :twisted: . He tries to ruffle feathers at every opportunity, and we all love him for it. Heck, I'd go so far as to say that you're not a real NANFA member until you've been busted by Irate, and he's told you at least one of your fish is going to die.

Personally, I'd take Irate's comment much, much, MUCH less seriously than that of most other NANFA members, and I certainly wouldn't consider him to be any official mouthpiece of NANFA. Rumor has it there are 3 full-time moderators on this forum assigned exclusively to moderating just Irate -- and they still can't keep up. ;-)

Speaking only as a member with no official role, I'd say that I'd love to see peace, harmony, and unity in the native fish world. I think it'd be great if the community wasn't divided into two parallel groups with similar goals, but it's certainly a lot less "splintered" than most interest groups. There's certainly room for two...

Cheers, Jase

Jase,

Thanks for the note, I looks like I took Irate more serious than I should have :closedeyes:

I will officially stand down and mlt back under the rock in which I came :laugh:

#20 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:03 PM

Jase,

Thanks for the note, I looks like I took Irate more serious than I should have :closedeyes:

I will officially stand down and mlt back under the rock in which I came :laugh:

And as some additional clarification... Irate is not a person named "Mike" as you addressed your response... you must have him confused with someone else... Welcome Robert... I can say that I certainly was one that was positively affected by your writings and by NANFA when I was first discovering the joys of native fishes... glad to have you around!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users