Setting Up A Pumpkinsedd Aquium

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Peter_*

Guest_Peter_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:24 AM

Hi,
I am thinking of starting up a new aquarium with Pumpkinseeds and maybe Small Yellow Pearch. Any info on starting up the tank, tank requirments and care of these fish would be greatly appreciated. I have some experience with Tropicals but this will be my first endevour with a Native tank. I plan to try and collect the fish myself and live in New England.
Thanks,
Peter

#2 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:55 AM

These species do not have any special requirements. You would want a relatively large tank depending on how many you plan to keep, but I would say atleast a 55 gallon tank. Pumpkinseeds are rather territorial so you will want to have lots of hiding places to cut down on aggression toward one another. Both species can be trained to eat some kind of chichlid pellets as a staple but should be given some variety from time to time in the form of shrimp, crickets, earth worms, or small feeder fish. I know this is very basic but they really don't require anything special.

hope this helps

#3 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2007 - 06:23 PM

Plants and driftwood will look good and provide some territory boundaries and hiding places. They are also very personable: they begin to recognize you as the bringer of food. Smbass pretty much summed it up.

#4 Guest_Peter_*

Guest_Peter_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:00 AM

Thanks for the info. Are there any good reference books on keeping either species?
Thanks again,
Peter

#5 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:44 PM

I personally think you will get better info by asking questions here on the forum than looking in references when it comes to captive care of any native.

#6 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:27 PM

a 55 won't allow for many fish if you decide on the perch. Under best conditions maybe 2 pseeds and 1 perch could live in a 55. I would take a plunge and get a 75 so the perch can have a buddy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users