Fun On The Briny Deep...

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:16 AM

Yesterday I had an opportunity to go out on a large research vessel in Monterey Bay, CA. This area is somewhat unique in that a deep submarine canyon cuts very close to shore; you can be just a couple of miles out and be over some really, really deep water.

We dragged otter and beam trawls from ~60m down to ~1500m depth, got all sorts of neat things. As there was a large group of students onboard, I mostly tried to stay out of everyone's way and thus didn't get many pictures... but it was a beautiful, sunny day and the seas were moderately calm, so it was nice just being out and away from this 'puter.

Zaniolepis latipinnis, longspine combfish. These guys came up caked in mud, and have the annoying habit of locking their body into a tight circle; even after anesthesia they were difficult to straighten out. IMG_6069.JPG
Chauliodus macouni, Pacific viperfish. Makes a pike look tame, no?
IMG_6055.jpg

#2 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:22 AM

Yesterday I had an opportunity to go out on a large research vessel in Monterey Bay, CA. This area is somewhat unique in that a deep submarine canyon cuts very close to shore; you can be just a couple of miles out and be over some really, really deep water.

We dragged otter and beam trawls from ~60m down to ~1500m depth, got all sorts of neat things. As there was a large group of students onboard, I mostly tried to stay out of everyone's way and thus didn't get many pictures... but it was a beautiful, sunny day and the seas were moderately calm, so it was nice just being out and away from this 'puter.

Zaniolepis latipinnis, longspine combfish. These guys came up caked in mud, and have the annoying habit of locking their body into a tight circle; even after anesthesia they were difficult to straighten out.

Chauliodus macouni, Pacific viperfish. Makes a pike look tame, no?

Wow. I like the viper fish. I've always had an interest in some of the weirder of the deep sea fish. Is that the gills I see? Why are they like that?

#3 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:29 AM

The mouth on those things is so big that when it's open, the whole skull flexes forward and up, exposing the gills. The connection between the branchiostegals and the body is very weak though (it expands to let them swallow really huge prey items), and seems to break very easily when they come up in the nets.

#4 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:41 AM

that's truly awesome

#5 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:49 AM

The mouth on those things is so big that when it's open, the whole skull flexes forward and up, exposing the gills. The connection between the branchiostegals and the body is very weak though (it expands to let them swallow really huge prey items), and seems to break very easily when they come up in the nets.

Interesting... learn somethin' new everyday.

#6 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:16 PM

Wow cool fish! When they come up from that depth do their swimbladders expand out their mouths? Maybe the combfish has no swimbladder?

#7 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:26 PM

The combfish was from only about 75m depth; they were not particularly agitated nor were they inverting their swimbladders.

The viperfish was dead when (probably well before) it hit the surface. That said, many deepwater fishes make extensive migrations into very shallow water at night to feed, returning to the depths at sunrise.

#8 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:36 PM

That said, many deepwater fishes make extensive migrations into very shallow water at night to feed, returning to the depths at sunrise.

Isn't it different when they come up on their own, at their own pace? Pulled up quickly in a net they can't equalize fast enough.
At least that's what happen to cod and other groundfish when pulled from depths by hook and line. Kinda makes the length limit a bit of a farce. You toss 'em back and the seagulls get 'em while they float helpless.
Anyway, cool critters. Keep posting those unusual fish!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users