Salutations From The Pacific North-wet

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ironhand74_*

Guest_Ironhand74_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2007 - 03:15 PM

Greetings everyone,
My name is John, been interested in keeping natives for a few years but finally decided to do something about it, so here I am !
my winter project ( after I clear out my workshop) is a 1500 gal acrylic, undecided whether I want to duplicate a pond/lake or a stream/river ... would depend on the intended stock.
Hope to hear from y'all, I see in the map there are a few members not too far away !!

J.

#2 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2007 - 04:25 PM

Greetings everyone,
My name is John, been interested in keeping natives for a few years but finally decided to do something about it, so here I am !
my winter project ( after I clear out my workshop) is a 1500 gal acrylic, undecided whether I want to duplicate a pond/lake or a stream/river ... would depend on the intended stock.
Hope to hear from y'all, I see in the map there are a few members not too far away !!
J.

Posted Image

Welcome to the forum, I would suggest a stream/river tank. Skipjack has a large stream tank, he could probably give you some plumbing tips.

Tom

#3 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2007 - 06:49 PM

Welcome to the forum!

What are the dimensions? If it's large enough, you might could keep some real monsters, like gar and bowfin. If your not into the big stuff, then I would go with a stream tank, and add some shiners, dace, and smaller species of chubs.

Steve

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 10:59 PM

That's a pretty ambitious project! We like pictures here on the forum :smile:

#5 Guest_Ironhand74_*

Guest_Ironhand74_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:16 PM

hello there everyone,
the dims you asked about fishlvr, at least at the moment, are to be 50"d, 75"w, 96"l, ample surface/depth ratio for sufficient gas exchange whether it be coldwater or warmwater. Large fish are really a joy... sometimes, some 14yrs ago (when I resided outside Dayton Ohio) had to construct a pond to keep a pair of red-tailed catfish in excess of 4 ft weighing approx 35# ea,
not an easy task to maintain water perams. in a 25' pond nearly 12' at the deepest point. A logistical nightmare to say the least!
That is the nice thing about forums, ppl can share thoughts, ideas, experiences and above all knowledge and wisdom. I'd be happy to do a step-by-step log of "larger than average" tank construction. I know the members of another forum I frequent look forward to the same ( over 14,000 members worldwide) no pressure ! lol anyway, I'll be here off and on reading, observing, and maybe pop off something out of the norm from time to time, thats just me.

J. :wacko:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users